Vincent Gap to Prairie Fork: 16 March 2014

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

A bunch of us left Vincent Gap and headed down Vincent Gulch for 4½ miles where we met the Prairie Fork of the East Fork of the San Gabriel River. The weather was perfect!
Descending in the morning:
This was typical of the trail in the upper third to half of the trail. Lots of oak canopy...

About two-thirds of the way down the gulch we emerged from the east wall of the canyon and onto the rocky floodplain. There are two "paths" downstream, the east (easier) side of the creek or cross the creek immediately to the west side. I recommend crossing the creek and then returning up the east side for variety. Also, if you cross the creek immediately, you will walk right up to the old glider crash site.

This is typical of the terrain down near the creek.

The trail east to Cabin Flats was clearly marked:

When you are at the confluence of Vincent Gulch and Prairie Fork, don't forget to look up Miner's Gulch to the west where the Big Horn Mine can be easily spotted.

There are ~10-15 downed trees on this trail, especially the lower half, but nothing that can't be managed. We're hoping this summer to do the Vincent Gap - Bridge to Nowhere East Fork trek over a couple of nights.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Dang, looks dry Rambo. Did you see any sign of water?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Uncle Rico wrote: Dang, looks dry Rambo. Did you see any sign of water?
The flow in Prairie Fork was poor, about three feet wide and and an inch or two deep. Vincent Gulch had good to excellent flow but then that water seemed to diminish in the last half mile as we approached the confluence of the two creeks. This summer may get very dry...
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Love that area, thanks for the pics!

I'm also afraid for what it's going to look like this summer, though... :(