Jones and Hastings Peaks

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Hey where is everybody these days? It's been pretty slow around here so I'll try to liven it up with this riveting TR.

I was supposed to be backpacking in J Tree this weekend, but events conspired to prevent that from happening. So I decided to take care of some unfinished business I had in Bailey Canyon. On March 2, I made the trek to Bailey for the purpose of hitting Jones and Hastings Peaks while the temps were cool, but I was foiled by the authorities who had locked the gate to keep folks out of the canyon because of the recent rains presumably made it dangerous. I ended up going up the Mt. Wilson trail that weekend in the rain instead.

So today I went back to go up Bailey Canyon on the hottest day of the year yet. Good planning by me, but I was the only soul on the trail. My path lead me initially to the summit of Jones Peak (I was underwhelmed by this summit--flat, shadeless, no register, a zillion flies and bees) and then along the ridgeline to Hastings Peak which I enjoyed quite a bit. The trail to the saddle is in very good shape thanks to the folks who have been doing maintenance recently. I saw their implements and their handiwork on my way up. The use trail along the ridgeline to Hastings is easy to follow and mostly clear of brush. While atop Hastings, I saw Fight On's handiwork on the metal post on the summit. I made sure to make some modifications--he, he. See below.

A couple of pics:

First vista as you being your climb up Bailey Canyon

Some rare shade along the mostly south facing trail. This would be a scorcher in the middle of summer.

Maintenance crew tools along the trail. Thanks so much guys and gals.

View down rugged Bailey Canyon

The old cabin ruins about 2/3rds of the way up

Greenery along the trail above the cabin site

View east from atop Jones Peak

View southwest from atop Jones Peak

Ridgeline leading out to Hastings viewed from atop Jones Peak

Jones Peak from the ridgeline leading to Hastings Peak

Survey marker atop Hastings

Looking north from atop Hastings. If I'm not mistaken, you're looking at Yale and Harvard.

Looking southeast from atop Hastings

Looking southwest from atop Hastings

Having a cold one before heading back down. I regretted this.

Now you see him...

Now you don't.

Purple stuff blooming on the ridgeline.

The end.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice trip, Rico.

Jones is still on my to do list. I think it would be a cool night hike. The view of the city on a clear night would make a nice reward.

I don't know the back story on the "Fight On" hiker. I'm guessing that is a USC reference.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen done with one of the stickers.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Nice pictures Rico. For added adventure, you can take the very steep east ridge down from Jones' summit and end up on the Mt. Wilson Trail at a point which is less than a mile from the Wilson trailhead (of course this would require a car shuttle or walking the mile or so from the Wilson trailhead back to Bailey Park). The views from Jones Peak are great at night. The area right by the debris damn at the start of the trail seems to attract a lot of coyotes.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I looked at that ridge Augie and was considering it when I went up the Mt. Wilson trail in early March. The tentative plan was ascend the Mt. Wilson trail, take the Cross-Over trail to Jones Peak, and then descend that ridge. But I inadvertently blew past the Cross-Over and eventually found myself on Manzanita Ridge with limited daylight. So I just returned the way I came. There's always a next time.
rck

Post by rck »

Nice Pics Rico. Makes me want to do this once I get a round to it, and I see thee is one on top of Hastings. 8)

Rick
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Very nice, this is my go-to hike since I live right near the trailhead. A great loop is to go up the ridge you guys are mentioning (Bastard Ridge), over Jones and optional Hastings, then down the Connector Trail to the Mt Wilson Trail.

I really like that ridge over to Hastings, though... Obviously excellent views, and when the lupine and sweet pea start blooming it has a really unique feel. Absolutely brutal in the summer, though.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Taco wrote: Pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen done with one of the stickers.
Ditto.....
Augie

Post by Augie »

Another option is to continue past Hastings Peak on that ridge and do the steep climb up to the Mt. Wilson Toll Road. Hike up the toll road past the Manzanita Ridge junction and pick up the Mt. Wilson Trail to the summit. Maybe do Mount Yale while you're in the area. Then return on the Mt. Wilson Trail, take Hiker Bob's connector trail back up to the Hastings ridge/saddle below Jones Peak and take the Bailey Canyon trail back to the Bailey trailhead.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

ur2slo wrote:
Taco wrote: Pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen done with one of the stickers.
Ditto.....
Triple quadruple ditto and then some :wink: :shock:

And great trip report with pictures :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Uncle Rico wrote: Now you see him...

Now you don't.
Through the grapevine, I understand that the sticker needs to be replaced. Permanently.