Ontario Peak: 06-15-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice hike up to Ontario Peak in the morning before it got kinda warm. Only saw one other person above Kelly Camp and that was on the peak (saw him later as I neared the parking lot - wonder if he is a poster on this board). He kept calling me "sir!"

Columbine Spring is flowing cool and refreshing. Trail from Kelly Camp to Ontario Peak is an obstacle course through all of the downed trees - you only have to climb over about 4 or 5 of them, trail dodges the rest. Icehouse Canyon was remarkably uncrowded...parking was available a little after 12 noon.

Ontario Peak...

Mt. Baldy...

Ski Hut sporting a new roof...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Harumph.

Nice pics as always. I was on the west side of Ontario today, checking out some fun ways up. Looks better on that side. 8)

Sir....
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Was the old roof green? Is the new one kid of orangish? Has my alzheimer's completely taken over?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Was the old roof green? Is the new one kid of orangish? Has my alzheimer's completely taken over?
Sir...kindly refrain from the 'old' jokes! :wink:

The old roof was green (I had to look up an old picture :) ). I think what you see in the picture is a work in progress (probably plywood) and I'd assume what they put on that will have a green finish to it - wait and see.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good point. Hopefully someone will post a newer photo as time passes.

Is Ontario still completely desolate west of Kelly's? You're photo isn't encouraging, but any signs of reforestation?

If not, I guess the forest just isn't going to come back. :cry: I think that fire was 30 or 40 years ago that burned that section. It's been desolate as long as I can remember which is at least 25 years back.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:... any signs of reforestation?
I wasn't paying that much attention to the local greenery, but I do recall walking by or between quite a few 3 to 4 foot tall pine trees as I went west from Kelly's Camp. That must have been one hell of a fire if it's been desolate for so long.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Really? That's very cool. Maybe I'll have to head out that way and check it out. I've been wanting to camp at Commanche for quite a while, so maybe this is my excuse ...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dang...where the heck is Comanche Camp?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There are 5 trail camps in that vicinity.

West of Icehouse Saddle: If you go up to Icehouse Saddle from the west and take the Chapman Trail instead of the regular trail, you'll get to Cedar Glen Camp.

South of Icehouse Saddle: Kelly's Camp lies on the trail to Ontario Pk from Icehouse Saddle.

East of Icehouse Saddle: If you approach Icehouse Saddle from the east via the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek, you come to Stone House, Third Crossing, and Commanche camps. Commanche is the closest to Icehouse Saddle.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:Nice hike up to Ontario Peak in the morning before it got kinda warm.
Did we get a permit for this hike?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I did. Don't know about you. :)
He219

Post by He219 »

HikeUp wrote: I think what you see in the picture is a work in progress (probably plywood) and I'd assume what they put on that will have a green finish to it - wait and see.
Yep, they just peeled off the green layer of Corrugated Metal Decking and what you see is plywood sheathing of the roof structure. Decking will be replaced ..
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:I did. Don't know about you. :)
I didn't go on that hike. If I did I would get a permit. If I couldn't get one, I wouldn't go.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

FIGHT ON wrote:Did we get a permit for this hike?
FIGHT ON wrote:
HikeUp wrote:I did. Don't know about you. :)
I didn't go on that hike. If I did I would get a permit. If I couldn't get one, I wouldn't go.
You said 'we', so, although I didn't see you up there, I assumed you were stalking me or something :D
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:You said 'we', so, although I didn't see you up there, I assumed you were stalking me or something :D
True! I keep forgetting that I am a spirit. I was with you in spirit :roll:, well, I WAS! but stalking? nope. not me. and or something?? I don't do that either. But what are you going to do?, take out another permit application and put FIGHT ON on it? YOU SHOULD HAVE! You were afraid the ranger would check you and would he say like, "Ok DUDE!, like where is the other member of your party?" And you would be like? "Well Mr. Ranger, SIR!, FIGHT ON is with me in spirit!? You think that ranger would just say, "Ok, my mistake!" ? "Go right on ahead and I will be careful not to bother you two again?" YOU BET YOUR SWEET BIPPY HE WOULD!!!!! THOSE RANGERS KNOW WHO FIGHT ON IS! AND WHEN FIGHT ON IS IN THE AREA, EVERYTHING IS GONNA WORK OUT JUST FINE. Next time you hear that Mighty Mouse song, just insert FIGHT ON in Mighty Mouses place. HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dude, time to up the meds.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nope...don't see your name on the permit. Says only 1 person in my group...that'd be me! Whew.

Phone the Mt. Baldy Ranger Station/Visitor Center at 909-982-2829 to get a permit the day before your hike and they'll leave it on the information board out front for you to pick up...
(name obscured to protect the innocent/guilty)
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Well, since your geko says it's ok then it must be legit.
protect what from what? dude, it's just an act. RELAX, here look...