20140301 Baldy in the Storm

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Norma organized a big group hike of a ton of friends for Saturday. We had an enjoyable hike up to the hut, then up the far left side of the bowl to the ridge, and up. Decent winds and moderate snow made hanging out on top fun until it got old (15min?). Good weather for staying humble on regular days out. Amanda got her first time up Baldy, and in a snow storm doing something she's new to. Fits her very well.

Most folks went down the south ridge for the normal way off. Mark, Arthur and I went down the far right side of the bowl (right when looking from the hut). Easy low angle terrain, but steep enough to be able to glissade quickly down. Real good escape route for these reasons. I've made it down this way in 8min from the summit to the hut in dry conditions, and about 10-15 in OK winter conditions when running alone. About 2-3ft of snow in places. Gonna be warm this week so seeya!

Stayed with some new friends at the hut, who shared excellent food with us. Thanks guys! :)

On the way out, Patrick and I did the last 5 rappels in San Antonio Canyon/Falls. Amanda and I did a night run down this canyon on Wednesday night in the very beginning of the storm, which was just light rain and winds then. Much more water now. With Patrick going down the longest falls (80ft?), he wasn't able to stay left (dry-ish) and was hit by the water, which pulled his hood back and soaked him bigtime. I had a fireman's belay on him and had to laugh. We have laughed at each other's temporary misfortunes before, and it's always a joy.

The 2nd to last falls had a damaged anchor. One leg of the equalized sling was cut at the bolt, probably from debris I'd think. We provided a momentary solution which needs replacement and continued on. I had a good time, as did Patrick though he was a bit wet.

Amanda took these two photos of Patrick and I on our bonus adventure:

Top of rappel #2 (or #3 if doing entire canyon)

Atop the last rappel in that one.

Thanks everyone. 8)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Way to make it sound easy!

Thanks for the TR. Really.
longcut

Post by longcut »

excellent.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Most excellent.
turtle

Post by turtle »

Taco wrote: Easy low angle terrain, but steep enough to be able to glissade quickly down.
Easy enough if you can see where you're going! :wink:

With rime-glazed goggles and glasses (if on) or wind-whipped graupel stringing the corneas (if off), I found our descent of the bowl rather sporting. :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I think we just need those tiny windshield wipers you find on 90's Mercedes S-class headlights and install 'em on our heads to scrape the rime off! :)