Rattlesnakes are out, WTF!!

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I went for my bi-weekly hike-run last night in Griffith Park. As I climbed the ridge just west of Bee Rock at dusk I saw a stick on the ground but my Spidey sense went off and I stopped right before stepping over it. Damn it if it didn't start moving and rattling.

Firstly I can't remember seeing a rattlesnake in February it was a juvy probably about two and a half feet long so maybe not used to the whole hibernation thing. Secondly the sun was already down yet he was still out, only the faintest of glow was still left in the day. Very odd sighting, the apt coda to the run was watching a tarantula coming out of his hole and start his hunt for the night near the top of Bell Jr.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

'bout a week or so ago I saw a baby rattler on Hostter in the Verdugos

I picked it up with my trash grabber and moved it off the road.

it wasn't too happy but its wasn't in any condition to do anything 'bout it either

:lol:
Gene
Old Dam Man

Post by Gene »

I lived at San Gabriel Dam for nine years. We kept a log of all rattlesnake encounters. Most were in the warmer months, but every month of the year and at least one entry. Some of the cooler season occurrences involved moving wood or other objects temporarily left laying on the ground. While they were sheltered, they had been on the move to get in that location.

With wintertime warm days in the So Cal mountains I don't think snakes continuously hibernate during cooler weather, but that is just an opinion based on a few observations.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I've been wondering, because of the warm weather, if the animals might not be coming out much sooner. The last two weeks I've seen loads of those little lizard guys, and I always take the lizards as the precursors to the snakes. Once you see them, the snakes are up. Once they disappear for the winter, the snakes are usually asleep too.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: The last two weeks I've seen loads of those little lizard guys, and I always take the lizards as the precursors to the snakes.
I saw a boatload of lizards last weekend too, including this guy atop Mt. Lowe.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

GREAT HORNY TOADS!