Rubio Watershed Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Last weekend I took some people on a loop around Rubio Canyon. We started from the trailhead at 1101 E. Loma Alta in Altadena and took a connector trail to the SCE Tractor Trail, which climbs up the west side of Pine Canyon, connecting with the Lone Tree Trail at the electrical towers. We then continued up the Lone Tree ridge.

Up on the ridge we ran into Randall Hill, who has logged the second most entries in the West Fuji register.

The West Fuji plateau was tranquil and scenic as usual. Though some smoke from the Colby Fire had crept into Eaton Canyon.

Further up the ridge we stopped at Muir Peak to take a group shot.

We then dropped down to Inspiration Point for some lunch. Afterward we climbed the rollercoastering Inspiration Ridge, which crosses the heads of Castle Canyon and Rubio Canyon, eventually dropping us on the Middle Merrill.

We then followed the Merrill all the way down to the electrical towers below Echo Mountain. From here we took the Lower Old Echo Trail, which branches off on the left and takes you back into Rubio Canyon.

The watershed loop is about 9 miles with 3400' of gain.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

This is a really cool loop. I totally never thought of this. Being a Pasadena resident who regularly hikes Lone Tree and Sam Merrill, I'm totally going to do this.