Glendora Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

January 1, 2014

Yes, this little thing was my New Year's hike. I was intending to go up to Mt Islip but that didn't work out, so while I was driving through Azusa I figured why not… If you've never been there, the Garcia Trail is rather popular, but limited parking abounds. Some new home development is still in progress, but one bonus there is a bathroom near the trailhead.
It's a pretty short walk, but the Garcia Trail is certainly steep. The new year kept a lot of people away, although still a little too crowded for my liking. Once I got to the little saddle below Azusa Peak I figured I'd keep going, since I had never visited any further. After that I only saw a few people on the fire road, and one other guy walked across the peak while I was there. One good thing about this area is the views into the San Gabriels, and it was a really clear day there. Makes me feel better just by looking…
Apparently this is not officially named Glendora Peak but the geo markers say Glendora and Dan Simpson calls it by that name so it's good enough for me.

A few pics below to aid your own trip planning:

Looking towards the trail from the road/parking area.

Local art.

View west as I was going up. It gets better but this was a very hazy day out towards the ocean.

Just reaching the saddle, where Glendora Motorway intersects. Azusa Peak ahead.

Cross on top of Azusa Peak.

Looking over at Glendora Peak.

View north. Much clearer over the mountains.

Route to the top. It's not an official trail but certainly obvious.

Summit marker.

Hero pose at the top.

Looking back at Azusa Peak. I took one of the use trails down instead of backtracking to the fire road.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Perhaps it's unofficial because Glendora Mountain is just a bit north (3322ft I think) along GMR. Then Glendora Peak could be renamed Azusa Peak, and Azusa Peak could be called Trash Mountain, or People-who-wear-very-bright-fitness-oriented-clothing-mostly-the-shoes-man-those-are-really-obnoxiously-bright-maybe-they-do-Crossfit Peak.

;)
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I think you are right about Glendora Peak Taco,

To get to the Peak we knew as Glendora when I lived in the area, follow the fire road in an easterly direction as it twists and turns until it hits Glendora Mountain Road, go left for about a third or half a mile(approx) where the road bends, cross to the other side of road go up onto the ridge and follow it all the way up maybe half a mile to summit Glendora Peak. Use to see a lot of deer up there.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Taco wrote: ...Azusa Peak could be called Trash Mountain, or People-who-wear-very-bright-fitness-oriented-clothing-mostly-the-shoes-man-those-are-really-obnoxiously-bright-maybe-they-do-Crossfit Peak.

;)
Haha! I think the same can be said about most of the easy access, front range, lower peaks. They get "high" traffic in several senses of the word.