Hawkeye Point

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Once again, the "for anywhere" is taken liberally….
I spent a couple days in Omaha for work, so a little checking of the map showed that I was a mere three hours from the highest point in Iowa. Always looking for a nice adventure, I took the rental car out into the cold cold north, where I managed to reach the summit. This is the 15th state highpoint for me, and certainly the coldest - it was 9 degrees and very windy while I was there, and dropped a couple more right after I headed back to Omaha.
Not much to see here, just a lot of corn fields all covered in snow. The spot used to be private property, but the county recognized the significance and purchased a few acres and has even added a campground.
When I left there I went a few miles north to the Minnesota border, where I got a couple more self-indulgent pictures in front of the welcome signs.
Total hiking distance was about a quarter mile, elevation gain about a foot.

A few pics below…

Not much to see on the drive either - lots of flatlands.

Sign on the highway points you to the dirt roadway of 130th Street.

I decided not to drive any further since the rest was covered in snow. Also left the car running.

That barn is a museum of sorts, but I didn't check out any of the artifacts.

Summit marker.

Obligatory selfie. Also proof that I was actually there.

The posts have signs with direction and distance to the other 49 highpoints.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: Total hiking distance was about a quarter mile, elevation gain about a foot.
I assume class 1 terrain?

Looks like a neat place.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Brrrrrrrrr looks cold, I can relate to tagging Hawkeye because I would have done the same if I was there, 15 state highpoints is not to shabby either.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Awesome, dude! BTW, how long did you have to acclimate before ascending to that summit?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote: I assume class 1 terrain?
There might have been a couple steeper spots, I stumbled over the cement pads where the picnic tables usually reside. Guess I went a little cross country instead of staying on the trail. Couldn't see it in the snow anyway…

Elwood wrote: BTW, how long did you have to acclimate before ascending to that summit?
I never did get acclimated to the cold, so I just powered up and down before the symptoms got really bad.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda