Rim trail, Devore Camp, Gabrieleno, Kenyon Devore

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
walker

Post by walker »

These days, I can't get away for more than 3-4 hours for a hike, but I really miss the clean mountain air that you don't always get down in the foothills. As a result, I've gotten more into traveling light and fast. I decided to push my luck today on a loop I've wanted to do for a while.

Left the car by the towers at 12:15, jogged down the Rim Trail. A few remaining patches of snow up high, but nothing to worry about. A few pockets of poodle-dog along the way, no poison oak to be seen anywhere. Watch out for piled up acorns, though, nearly twisted my ankle slipping on those. Plus, the downhill margin of the trail through the entire first half of this hike is considerably softer and looser than the uphill, compacted margin of the trail. Several times had a foot bust through piled up leaves and needles disguised as half of the trail.

The trail between Newcomb's Saddle and Devore Camp looks like it doesn't get a ton of traffic, but it's in pretty good shape.

From Devore Camp up to West Fork CG is pretty rough in spots with lots of deadfall and a number of stream crossings complicated by newly fallen trees. Good water flow in the West Fork.

The trail from West Fork CG to junction with Kenyon Devore was in much better shape, practically a superhighway after all the other stuff I'd just been on, but still in recovery mode from after the fire. The poodle-dog is nicely pruned back in most spots.

Once you hit Kenyon Devore, it seems like the trail gets less travel, especially down low, but once you get into the long switchbacks, it's in really good shape.

Definitely felt the miles I'd done on the long slog up that hill, but the nice canyon and good trail made it pleasant work. Practically no snow at all here, but the canyon certainly gets cold when you're near the streambed.

Got back to my car at 3:45 - pretty exhausted but generally feeling good. Really enjoyed the absolute silence I experienced on most of this hike. This was quite a bit faster than I would like to go, but it was nice to see some of that country again.
rebo

Post by rebo »

:?: what is the water situation going up shortcut canyon to Chaleo?
someone said there was water at Tajunga stream crossing?

I am planning heading out for a Christmas/New Years break away through hike from Chantry Flats to Newcombs Ranch for resupplies then water up at rainbow falls in Buckhorn connecting to P.C.T to Little Jimmy.
connecting from Little Jimmy to Acorn trail down to trail end in the toen of Wrightwood..
B.P.W. at about 11 lbs
thanks and Seasons Greetings

rebo