Gold canyon 11/30

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

4 hour trip to Gold canyon. A bit of an odd start but I don’t know the legal easy path to start this. A good thing I suppose because otherwise being so close to the city, this place would be graffitized. I hit upon some colorful conglomerate early on and decided to follow that. I ended up in the canyoneering tributary to it and was stopped by a sensitive drop made of sand. Would take just one person to come down this route and the whole thing falls apart. Then went back to the main channel and up. Clear all the way to the top, but I turned around just before. On the way back, ran itno a couple of hikers returning from the top via an old trail.OK ,some people don’t know what they are talking about, so no wonder people have a problem with this trail. Although it was kind of funny the guy was telling me mis-information about the places I had just been to.Lastly, I hit up the north fork of Gold canyon for close to 2 of the 4 hours. A narrow granite canyon, filled with invasive plants. Thankfully I got stopped by a waterfall aways back. At the pool was a dead something(raccoon I think)…..an advertisement for bottled water if you ask me. Oh yeah, no gold :cry: :lol:

Conglomerate

sandy drop in the canyoneering tributary

View

Main canyon view

canyon travel

North Fork waterfall

Big Tujunga river
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice.

HJ