faint trail past bighorn mine

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Triiptych

Post by Triiptych »

I was exploring Bighorn Mine the other day for the first time, and noticed a small trail that kept going to the left (if looking at the mine) past the mine. My friend and I followed it as far as we could until we got to a spot that had a rope tied to a sturdy bush for safer travel across the side of the mountain. I'd say this is about a mile from Bighorn Mine. Below was a huge drop off that made it not worth it to me. I stopped to eat while my friend kept following the trail until it ended not much farther.

Does anyone know what the path leads to, or if it leads to anything? I've heard of a hidden tunnel that's supposed to be near but haven't heard much about it.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

the 1940 USGS map shows the trail continue past the mine about a mile, as you noted, and terminated in Mine Gulch. No marking of anything there other than a trail.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I got a cool pic from there by Paul S on the forum a few years ago:

We were attempting to climb Baden Powell via Mine Gulch. Forgot my sunglasses. I boned that one. I do believe we followed that trail before just going wherever.
Triiptych

Post by Triiptych »

Woah thats awesome. Ya looks about right. Is that a good challenge starting from mine gultch goin to the top?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It would be. Steep snow to about 50 degrees, several sections of steep water ice up to about 60ft or so, a typically long approach, about 5,000ft of elevation gain, a beautiful and dramatic and easy run up the upper face, and typically lots and lots of rockfall. If it is climbed, it would need to be done very quickly and in very cold conditions. 8)
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

From Hugh Blanchard, who used to be the mine guy, his site is still up and has more details of the mine, here.

http://www.lagoldmines.com/index.php?page=674120.txt

Just beyond the stamp mill a faint trail with dangerous exposure continues over a mile passing a prospect that supposedly contains a hidden tunnel. The writers strongly recommend against any solo trips on this dangerous trail and urge all parties to tie in with rope. The trail ends at the top of a rather steep canyon. At the bottom of the canyon another tunnel entrance may be seen. This tunnel is reportedly quite shallow but has not been visited by the writers.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Way cool. 8)

So who is gonna go check that out eh?
Triiptych

Post by Triiptych »

i went again yesterday. explored the entire inside of the mine then after i followed that path again. i got to the end of the path just past the part that has ropes. Attempted to make my way down from there but couldnt find it. I want to go back and start from mine gultch and make my way up.