Clamshell, Mack, Rankin, and Monrovia Peaks

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

This for me is the ultimate winter hike in the front range. It gives you a 5K+ gain, brush, and a steep ridge to climb who can ask for any more? This was my fourth time ascending the fire break from Ridgeside. Only once did I descend this way and I prefer looping down the fire road with the longer mileage.

I started my hike leaving the car at the bottom of Ridgeside and hiking up the street to the fire road. The main home off the driveway which has been under construction is looking pretty impressive as it nears completion. The fire road meanders as they do until you get to the high point. From here you turn sharp right up a use trail Cat track. The prior egress to the ridge had been at the high point of this trail. It appears people prefer going straight up the side of the ridge which while steeper is more direct and clearer. I approve of this change and finished that climb feeling less tired then usual. This section and the climb up Clamshell are the two steepest sections of the hike.

From here the trail meanders in a northerly direction. Two fortunate changes were noted from my last time here. First less brush probably time of year and lack of rain and secondly less downed brush cut from the firefighters when they worked this area last. You climb a last steep section and then head in a westerly direction on the fire break proper. From here you can also see Clamshell for the first time clearly. A quick drop/climb and you're on the ridge to Clamshell on another northerly ridge. As you start on this ridge you can see down into Big Santa Anita almost lateral with the parking lot.

A final steep climb gets you up to Clamshell. The main peak is the northerly one and after a limbo dance around yucca, you are there. There is a metal box in the ground with a plastic jar inside. It looked like nothing was in it so I left it alone. Coming back to the saddle between the north/south peaks of Clamshell, you drop down an obvious firebreak to the fire road.

I had noted on the topo that there was a marker on Mack so I decided to climb it. Mack is the hogback right after you descend Clamshell to the east. The top is difficult to figure out as it is long and flat, I never found the marker but felt like I got another high point, I'll take it. I descended to the east down a moderate slope and then headed to the north side of the Clamshell fire road. This section is really nice and shaded an enormous difference from the south.

The turn off to Rankin is best noted as the road has fully moved to the south and there is a contour straight east not actually climbing a ridge. The climb up Rankin is the most demoralizing of the bunch. Steep, no shade, and very wide with lots of steps before you get to the top. Rankin has a memorial to a preacher that it appears no one exactly knows who he is. Poor Rankin has seen better days and is getting grown over and is even a bit eroded on the bottom, I hope he doesn't slip off.

The section from Rankin to Monrovia has some roller coaster action and also the section that has the most downed branches to manuever around or climb over. This section has some serious bear activity going on scat and footprints everywhere but no cute bears to take pictures of. The sign in book on Monrovia is filled and needs a new one. Most people climbing it appear to be bikers.

Down a steep gully to the fireroad is next. SCE or whomever works on the powerlines is seriously busy over here. They have graded the fire roads, added new drainage, and put in holding walls on the sides of the road. Apparently the Forest Service wants to make sure they don't do work in certain places because every 50 yards they have signs saying "Entrance Not Permitted" it is almost absurd where these signs are placed and it looks like a Presidential race with the sheer quantity in some areas. I tried to run the whole way down but only made it to the second turnoff to the Overtuff trail, my right knee got really sore and a blister started to form on the left heel.

The whole hike was about 17 miles with around 5,300 feet gain in just over 6 hours. Minimal pictures since there was a lot of cloud cover on the peaks. The only wildlife I saw was a deer on the way up to Clamshell and a second one eating grass in the front lawn of the house I parked in front of.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Nice report, David. We actually went up the same route yesterday, saw your footprints here and there in the sandy sections and noted your signature on the back of the register... Figured I might see a report here today. Couldn't believe the amount of bear scat on the entire trail, seems they're doing quite well up there :D

And I definitely agree, this is THE front range hike to do in cooler weather; the colors up there this time of year are unbelievable. I'll post some pics in another thread.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

David R wrote: about 17 miles with around 5,300 feet gain in just over 6 hours.
Dang, son, you is fast. I'll have to find something about half that over there to do some time. :lol:

HJ
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

You got a late start! I think you may have been right behind me I noticed some people coming up the fire road behind me who looked like they were out for more then a casual hike. I started from the car at 8:20, so hit the fire road maybe 5-10 minutes after that.

As I get old I notice that my pace uphill hasn't changed that much but going down has slowed. Getting a graded 10 mile fire road that I could jog down allowed me to remember my glory years.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

David R wrote: You got a late start! I think you may have been right behind me I noticed some people coming up the fire road behind me who looked like they were out for more then a casual hike. I started from the car at 8:20, so hit the fire road maybe 5-10 minutes after that.
Ah, closer than I thought. We got started around 8:45 8)