Help ID'ing photo - stone foundation location??

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Maybe, I think, someone posted this photo on this forum once before but I forgot to ask about it.

I believe I tagged it as somewhere along Angeles Crest Highway :?: :?: :?:

Curious as to where it is --- and WHAT it mighta been --- a private cabin, resort or campground foundations ???

Thanks for any help IDing this spot...

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That's Cortelyou Spring. Must have been a bigger deal back when.

HJ
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Hikin_Jim wrote: That's Cortelyou Spring. Must have been a bigger deal back when.HJ
Thanks, and respect as always to you Hikin Jim [and others] for your SGM knowledge...

All this time, this thing is sitting right on the side of Highway 2 and I never noticed it ??? :oops: :roll: :oops:

I was hoping a quick google search would bring up possible historical images/articles etc etc --- unfortunately 'bone dry' results :P... :o

But there was this youtube of this guy searching for survey benchmarks...

AW~

Post by AW~ »

The research is not completely bone dry....although the spring is 8) .

Could be a dude Cortelyou from back in the 30s and 40s that was the head of Caltrans, district 7(Highway 39). Besides the freeways and Arroyo Seco Spencer Cortelyou also was the Ridge Route dude.

My guess is this ode to Cortelyou has been reconfigured by whoevers to be a shell of what it once was.
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

Spencer V. Cortelyou on the care taken in planning construction of ACH to avoid visual impact despoilment:

The road and springs area as seen in the photo on the right from 1955:

Surpised to hear that the springs are completely dry (perhaps not surprised after the past two dry years). Birders have regarded that as a good area for viewing migratory hummingbirds (and others) in part because of the reliable water source.

kind regards,
Arocknoid
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I remember that say a decade ago those springs were very reliable. Maybe the spring box(es) have filled in?

HJ
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

AW wrote: The research is not completely bone dry....although the spring is 8) .

Could be a dude Cortelyou from back in the 30s and 40s that was the head of Caltrans, district 7(Highway 39). Besides the freeways and Arroyo Seco Spencer Cortelyou also was the Ridge Route dude.

My guess is this ode to Cortelyou has been reconfigured by whoevers to be a shell of what it once was.
Hi AW aka the Minister of Misc News - respect every time! Always great how mysteries and non-mysteries unfold...

Like what arocknoid posted too... so it was Cortelyou that had the vision [and plan] so we wouldn't see too much of the Angeles Crest Highway from the valley ?

Lots of facts, history and stories in the San Gabriels...