Beyond Ontario - Peak 6857 Solo Overnight (2013-10-12)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
turtle

Post by turtle »

When poring over topos of the San Gabriels, Peak 6857 had often caught my eye. A lonely perch well beyond the end of Ontario Ridge, surely it would offer commanding views of the basin. Yet in the eyes of the USGS, it didn't even merit a name. The scarcity of information offered in an old forum thread only added to the mystery, so it seemed a perfect destination for a challenging and remote solo overnight outing.

Steady up-trail progress was initially elusive (Did I put out the Adventure Pass? Did I lock the vehicle after putting out the pass? No on both counts...), but the charms of Icehouse Canyon eased the resulting frustrations. Fall in Icehouse Canyon is surely one of the most beautiful time-place combinations in all the San Gabriels. Unfortunately, several hundred others agreed with this assessment, so I had plenty of company as I worked upward to Icehouse Saddle.

Leaf by cpandmd, on Flickr

Foliage by cpandmd, on Flickr

Beyond Icehouse Saddle the character of the hike changed markedly. The first snowfall of the year had consolidated into a two inch carpet on the north-facing slopes, yielding a variety of textures that will be lost once the full winter blanket arrives. Only two sets of footprints led forward (with none yet returning) as I proceeded past Kelly Camp and onto Ontario Ridge proper. After overtaking the lead pair, only bighorn and deer tracks lay ahead.

Icehouse Saddle by cpandmd, on Flickr

Textures by cpandmd, on Flickr

Deer by cpandmd, on Flickr

After a brief pause atop Ontario Peak, I continued southwest -- downward, and outward, and upward, and downward -- across the generally pleasant terrain of Ontario Ridge. Light brush and scattered Class 3 terrain added a degree of interest, and opportunities for more challenging scrambles abounded.

Ontario Peak to Peak 6857 by cpandmd, on Flickr

Ontario Ridge by cpandmd, on Flickr

Pinnacle by cpandmd, on Flickr

Past "Ridge End", even the moderate brush disappeared, with mature pines and a blanket of needles dominating the now steeply descending ridgeline. It was tempting to stop there, and, were I to return, I would likely not go past this delightful setting...

For after "Second Balcony", things got miserable in a hurry. My Google Earth reconnaissance had suggested the possibility of brush -- and Google Earth seldom misinforms. I kept SW of the SSW-trending ridgeline, as the brush had appeared thinner there. Indeed it was possible to link together scattered patches of open scree and sand as I side-hilled down and across toward the final saddle. But the resulting upward and downward deviations, on loose terrain, with the occasional scramble over crumbly outcroppings, proved tiresome and cumbersome. And the frequent pushes through buckthorn to link the patchwork was enough to push me over the edge.

The open terrain on the NE ridge of Peak 6857 could not have come soon enough, and the colorful rock atop the mineral-rich Cascade Canyon helped put the thrash-fest behind me. Shortly thereafter, I was setting up camp just west of the true summit of the peak, with good views across towards Baldy.

Cascade Rock by cpandmd, on Flickr

Camp by cpandmd, on Flickr

The morning marine layer hadn’t so much burned off as diffused upward and inward to the mountains, so visibility was less-than-optimal. But the persistent haze scattered the blue and rendered a soft, warm glow to the colorful rock atop the peaks as I puttered around camp, briefly enjoyed some bouldering, and surveyed the breadth of my dominion. I munched on peanut butter filled pretzels as the sun dipped deeper into the haze and over the horizon to render a sunset that could only be described as apocalyptic.

Lichen Tower and Moon by cpandmd, on Flickr

Bouldering by cpandmd, on Flickr

Cucamonga by cpandmd, on Flickr

Sunset by cpandmd, on Flickr

Overnight, the forecast 5-10mph breeze did not arrive, but a brisk 20mph wind with 30mph gusts visited in its stead. Strangely, it arrived from all directions in turn, at first gently from the west, then more briskly from the south, east, and finally the north. Not fifteen minutes after bedding down, it was clear my ThermaRest had a leak, as the rocky terrain beneath grew increasingly "tactile". Soon there was little between me and the cold ground.

Enduring a cold and sleepless night alone atop an infrequently visited peak does strange things to the mind. The increasing wind had finally vanquished the stubborn haze. Gazing downward on the glimmering lights of the urban sprawl, tantalizingly just out of reach, only seemed to heighten the sense of isolation, and invited outward projection of my profound loneliness. A crimson light longingly beating atop Sunset Peak, and three lights dutifully standing watch above the Baldy tunnels long after traffic had subsided -- I wondered if they felt lonely too. Tentless and without a bivy sack, deep and sustained sleep never came. Only a series of fitful catnaps marked time as Pegasus, Taurus, and finally Orion wheeled overhead.

My plans to meet Norma atop Ontario Peak at 9:15am required and early start, and I departed camp before sunrise. Picking my way down the crumbly NNE slopes of Peak 6857 by headlamp proved a tedious start, but fortunately the gloaming arrived before I reached the upward ascent and the worst of the brush. Mercifully, the previous day’s experience and a good scouting of the return route from Peak 6857 allowed me to do a bit better this time, bypassing the "Toe" to the NW. Still, it was a frustrating slog back to the Second Balcony. Wonderful views of the basin beneath a reconsolidated marine layer provided welcome relief to the tedium.

Sunrise by cpandmd, on Flickr

Santiago by cpandmd, on Flickr

Atop Ontario Peak at the appointed hour, I sheltered out of the still brisk NW breeze, warming in the SE sun. Before long, Brian, then Patrick, Norma, and Phil popped atop the peak. I declined an offer to join them on their journey over Bighorn to Cedar Canyon -- two trips through the brush and a sleepless night had proved adventure enough. Longing for a warm and soft couch at home, I was keen to push off, but the scent of cinnamon rolls toasting on Phil's stove can make even the most restless and beaten man content and happy. Memories of good conversation with friends and a warm moist center surrounded by a lightly pan-sizzled crust returned me blissfully to the car.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Absolutely great shots Mark (Turtle), great TR as well. Those cinnamon rolls sure make the misery subside quickly. Great to come up Falling Rock Canyon to find a friend atop Ontario Peak on a crisp fall October Morning.
Hope to see you again soon, hope you enjoyed all the taped "ballgames" :D

Patrick/Lilbitmo
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I felt like I was there with you. Superb report. Thanks.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dang it, there are those cinnamon rolls again. He's making the stove 'droid look bad. :lol:

Super nice TR. I've looked longingly down that ridge many a time.

HJ

P.S. Nice to see that someone actually took a look at that photo I posted back when. :)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Damn dude, nice trip and awesome trip report. You and Moose Tracks write the most literary TRs I've ever read. You've got a gift with words.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Great trip report! Did you see any signs of previous visitors beyond Ontario? Register, ducks, clipped branches, etc? One of these days I am going to get my hands on one of those cinnamon rolls!!!
turtle

Post by turtle »

Uncle Rico wrote: Damn dude, nice trip and awesome trip report. You and Moose Tracks write the most literary TRs I've ever read. You've got a gift with words.
Thanks Uncle Rico... I don't write in this style very often, much less on a public forum, so it does feel like "putting myself out there" a bit. Your kind words are appreciated.
turtle

Post by turtle »

hvydrt wrote: Did you see any signs of previous visitors beyond Ontario? Register, ducks, clipped branches, etc?
Very few. On the whole it is one of the most lightly impacted regions I've seen in the San Gabriels.

Between Ontario Peak and what I labelled "Ridge End", there was a faint trail in places. Though with the large number of four footed travelers, it was often hard to differentiate game trails from the human variety.

Between "Ridge End" and "Second Balcony" (if my memory is correct), I stumbled across some mining artifcats -- a few shovel heads and a metal post that I suspect marked the corner of a former mining claim. Surely the shovels are the same ones noted by LD in an earlier thread describing an ascent of Cascade Canyon.

On the summit of Peak 6857, I found no register, but did see a fire ring and another metal post.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Beautiful photos, Mark! Excellent narration too. Nice little overnighter except for the zero sleep score. :shock: Boy are you good at those selfies. How long can you set your timer for? Oh wait, now I have it... you have a remote timer in your hand!

That certainly was a perfect little breakfast on the summit. On a hot day, Phil has been known to break out the summit pub. I'm waiting for the day he does pot roast! :D

It was great to see you and hope to share a bivy adventure with you someday. Cheers!

Phil's summit oven

Summit cinnamon rolls ready to be iced
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

D'oh! It's those cinnamon rolls again. I'd love to learn how to make those. Probably from a package and really easy -- but yummy yummy yummy.

HJ
James

Post by James »

Great photos and TR. Really like the Lichen Tower. Did you climb it?
norma r

Post by norma r »

Pillsbury Pop 'n Fresh!! :lol:
turtle

Post by turtle »

norma r wrote: Boy are you good at those selfies.
Selfies? Selfies?! Aren't I a little too old for selfies? :P
norma r wrote: How long can you set your timer for?
I have a Canon S90, which has a maximum timer length of 30s.

On all but the roughest terrain, I find 30s sufficient for walking/climbing far enough away to make myself "small" in a typical composition. Much longer and I wouldn't be visible. As well, going further away would mean you can't hear the timer countdown, which would make "hitting your mark" and posing appropriately much more difficult.
turtle

Post by turtle »

James wrote: Really like the Lichen Tower. Did you climb it?
Thanks!

It may not be obvious from the photo, but the Lichen Tower is about 1.5m high. The photo actually shows a different face of the same rock I'm climbing in the Bouldering photo.

The rock atop the peak was really quite interesting -- lots of white quartz; and lots of iron-rich, heavily oxidized rock. Can't think of anywhere else I've seen that mix in the San Gabriels.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

norma r wrote: Pillsbury Pop 'n Fresh!! :lol:
Looking good. I'm going to have to try that.

HJ
James

Post by James »

Wow, the Lichen Tower looks much larger in the photo. :)

And I'm now craving the cinnamon rolls too.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice trip. There's certainly some interesting rock there, from a few crags on the south face of Ontario to those reddish walls in Cascade Canyon that were climbed on in the 80's or so.

Really nice photos Mark.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Amazing shots! I enjoyed the report a lot :)
turtle

Post by turtle »

Atop East Twin Peaks at sunrise yesterday, Peak 6857 was silhouetted in near perfect alignment with the much more distant San Jacinto Peak.

Ontario and Jacinto by cpandmd, on Flickr
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Peak 6857 really is a distinctive peak. I could see it from the Crystal Lake (Islip Ridge Trail) area this past weekend. It really deserves a proper name.

(Turtle's photo is much nicer than mine though)

HJ
turtle

Post by turtle »

Hikin_Jim wrote: It really deserves a proper name.
If I asserted a faint resemblance to a cartilaginous shell, could we call it "Turtle Peak"? :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Reminds me more of a nose. Maybe we should call it Turtle's Beak? ;)

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

That is so funny you posted the photo, Jim. I did a Baldy/Iron traverse of the San Antonio Ridge on Saturday and took the same photo of Peak 6857 thinking I would post it for Mark. (Wise hiking minds think alike! :wink: ) Now I don't have to. But maybe I'll post a TR of our day.

btw Mark, when I looked at 6857 from that vantage point I noticed it was a longgg ways from the Ontario summit. That was some schlep on Saturday morning with no sleep to get back to Ontario. I'm impressed. :D

Carry on!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

norma r wrote: ... But maybe I'll post a TR of our day.
Didn't happen unless there is a TR. Just saying. It's a fact ya know.