More abandoned camp fires.......still FLAMING HOT

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Drove down to Millard Camp today around 4:00 PM. When I got down to the camp sites.....I found it 100% deserted. However, one of the fire rings had a very large piece of wood in it. It was not only still "hot"....but you couldn't get within 2' of the pit without feeling intense heat. The stream was just 20' away...yet these ass goblins were too lazy (or stupid and lazy) to douse the fire? I think the "car campers" are the people who are our problem. Not all of them....but a high % of the problem people.

These are the people who eventually will destroy our nature areas.....and ruin it for all of us.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lamers.

So, Millard is open once again?

HJ
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Yep, wide open.
Frugal Hiker

Post by Frugal Hiker »

I always get so aggravated when I come across an unmanned fire pit still burning. Really wish people would take more responsibility and make sure their fire is COMPLETELY out before moving on. I think it's fair to say the fire permits we can print on line don't carry a lot of weight.

TFH
fortified

Post by fortified »

IF YOU OR ANYONE KNOWS...
1) When did it open?....
2) Can you go in all directions from there
3) If a campfire is still hot, what happened to the (grouchy) ranger that lived there?
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

fortified wrote: IF YOU OR ANYONE KNOWS...
1) When did it open?....
2) Can you go in all directions from there
3) If a campfire is still hot, what happened to the (grouchy) ranger that lived there?
I think it opened back up as soon as the "shut down" nonsense was over, and the gates on Chaney Trail were opened. You can go in all directions from there which were open previously. The falls are technically closed to hikers.....and from what I understand, you're not supposed to follow the stream up into the canyon towards saucer branch and the mine....but Fern/Brown Mtn and Sunset are business as usual. Campfire was beyond hot. I threw a piece of 12-pack cardboard into it, and it caught fire in 3 seconds. The biggest log was large, and probably smoldered for another 12+ hours. Ranger....don't know. This was the first fire-ring as you're walking down the grade.