June Snow Skiing

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.

Post by 406 »

June 6, 2008
All the 'experts' I encountered on the trail told me that it isn't possible. In fact, they almost didn't allow me to take the scenic chair lift ride because there couldn't possible be snow. I told the lifty that I was training and didn't plan to ski ( which was half true ) and he let me on the lift.

Based on some web reconnaissance I expected some snow on the north side of a saddle between two peaks starting around 9400 ft and lasting until 8400. After about an hour of scenic hiking from the top of the lift, found the patch of snow. Even I was surprised by the size and quality.

Started skiing around 11 am on nice smooth corn.

A few small trees poked out on the bottom part of the run:

Seemed like about 700 ft of vertical and got a little skinny in spots, but good coverage, steepness, and snow quality. Not bad for June and less than 2 hour drive from my house.

As I packed up to hike out after 3.5 runs, two other skiers showed up.

Back at the notch:

SD style:

Of course stopped at Wahoo's Fish Taco on the drive home:

Had never been up Mount San Antonio in the summer and was blown away by the number of people...I thought it got crowded in the winter. Despite all the people, few seem to leave the trails.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nobody seems to leave the trails!

That burrito looks frickin' awesome!

Top stuff as always. I love you, 406.
He219

Post by He219 »

Awesome 406!

Gotta love your spirit to make some tracks in June.
Cheers.
:D

Niiice ..
AW~

Post by AW~ »

3.5 runs...nice...thats a sizable hike in and of itself. Great pics as usual and nice style points for the adventure attitude...well there is that pic of other "people"..hehehehe...Im not complaining... 8)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Dude, that's so freakin' gangster. You're my new hero.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Very freakin' cool. I love that picture of you standing there with skis on totally dry, bare freakin' dirt. lol

Good turns!

HJ