Sunset and full moon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I went up to Sunset Peak on Saturday to of course watch the sunset, since it was a full moon night I planned to walk down the road under that nice glow. Didn't work out that way but that's later in the story.
Since I didn't leave home until 4:15 I parked by Cow Canyon Saddle and headed up the ridge route at 4:40. When I popped up to the hairpin turn of the fire road I surprised a big group of people heading down. A couple asked where I came from and I pointed out the trail. I continued up the ridge, reaching the summit at 5:40. It was actually cool in the shade and a little breeze was blowing, enough to make me put on a light windbreaker. Since I brought the Jetboil Zip, I cooked up a pot of water and had some hot chocolate while I walked around looking at all the alpenglow and the red sun receding into the Pacific. Shot a bunch of pictures and had a text message conversation with my little sister in Portland, then finally headed down the road at 6:35. It got dark pretty quick, and unfortunately then I found out that the batteries in my headlamp were mostly dead. Since I had no spares, I jogged while I could, maybe a half mile. Fearing a night-time face plant I slowed my pace a little. I opened up the lamp and massaged the batteries a little, and found I could get about 20 seconds of good light before it went dim again. I was able to do this a few times on the way down, but mostly walked to the faint glow of the fire road. I kept thinking the moon would show up, but I didn't see that light until I was driving past Shinn Road on the way down.
Still, another good day up in the San Gabriels.

A few pics below - I thought my camera was in the truck but I messed that up too so only iPhone photos:

Start of the ridge route.

Looking back towards Icehouse Canyon.

Ridge route goes up and down but usually the summit is in sight.

Last section, right at the point I call the hairpin turn.

Looks harder from here but it's the only section that might require handholds.

The actual summit. Now there is a POW flag to go with the American flag.

Ontario Peak ridge glowing in the late sun.

Looking up towards Baldy. Views like this is why we do this stuff.

Couldn't see the ocean but Catalina and San Clemente islands were clearly in view.

The actual sunset.

View east as I left the summit.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sounds like a nice little hike. It's short and it's a bit of a drive for me, but some time I'll have to try it.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Here's an old Everytrail route for this hike too...
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1480512
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Sunset Peak is one of my favorite night hikes! But I do it from the other trailhead (I guess 2N07?). From that direction it's really open, so even without a head lamp it's not that bad because of the ambient light. But I can see how going your way it could be pretty dark.

But the most dangerous park of this night hike is avoiding the car races on Glendora Mountain Road at night. We've seen some speedy little cars spun out on the side of the road among other things.

But I'm going to go replace the batteries on my head lamp now, it's been a while....