So how does this government shut down effect us exactly?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Signed Tom Tidwell, Timber Lobbyist, Chief of USDA Forest Service.

"...an act of the legislature, repugnant to the constitution, is void" ~Justice John Marshall, Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (1 Cranch) 137; 2 L. Ed. 60 (1803)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I wipe my ass with Tidwell's closure order.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Went to Crystal Lake on Sunday. Cafe open. USFS parking lot next to the cafe open. Gates at the roads to the lake and campsites closed. Gate to Coldbrook CG closed, with "No Overnight Camping" sign taped on the gate. Hiked to S. Mt. Hawkins and did not see another soul outside of the immediate Cafe area. Checked some restrooms near the trail -- some locked, but one at the trailhead near a sign for loops H and F was open. Also pretty sure I saw someone go into the one right at the entrance to the picnic parking.

Also, the South Mt Hawkins restroom is Way Open, same as it was here:
https://eispiraten.com/v ... 16&start=2
everyday

Post by everyday »

Since I not only work, but also live in a national park, this hasnt affected me badly at all, I simply have even MORE time to run than usual. All of us DNC employees still can stay at our homes inside the park, and come an go as we please, AND theres no crowds, which is souper awesome. AND in just the first 7 days of being closed to outsiders (aka tourists) our animal activity in yosemite valley has increased by 300%. which is also awesome, theres bobcats and bears everywhere, and 2! mountain lions by Camp 4, and all the car smog n campfire smoke is gone so the sky is even bluer than normal. Im seein only good out of this. :) OH! AND! we got a vacation! a paid vacation, we dont work til the shutdown ends.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

You're welcome. :lol:
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Whew. Went up to Dawson Saddle this weekend and found several road side bathrooms fully open :)

When I got back to the car though, I realized I had forgotten to put up my Adventure Pass... but, uh, there's no one around to notice?

In other news, there were rocks all over the road, some big ones. But Caltrans is still in business right? :)

I also saw that closure order posted here and still can't make any sense of what it's supposed to mean...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: I also saw that closure order posted here and still can't make any sense of what it's supposed to mean...
Neither can the Forest Service if that's any help.

HJ