20130926 Sheep Canyon Solo Climb

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Wanted to work on my lead-solo skillZzZ. Hadn't climbed in Sheep Cyn in a long time. Real loose.

Some basic data: 3 pitches, 1st was about 100ft, 2nd was over 200ft (70m rope), 3rd was 100ft or so. About 5.8ish with a big fat X on the end of it. Not too hard but pretty out there. Gotta be super careful with each move. Soloing means one must climb the pitch, then rapp and clean it, then reclimb it on toprope, so you do a lot of work. Launched a lot of blocks down, all but one on purpose. Bigass block fell right down the middle of the pitch with my rope zigzagging across the face. Dunno how, but my rope didn't get beat to hell.

Protection was OK most of the time. Not really runout. Dunno what else to say. The rest was my experience. :)

Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacodelrio ... 936026843/

Oh yeah, check the spire. It's been a sorta quiet San Gabriel point of interest. Didn't climb it. If someone wants to go tag it, do it by its north face, which has a few decent cracks that I think end about 6ft or so below the top. Top is skinny enough that you could leave webbing or something, big enough for 1.5 asses.

Cheers
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Kool pics...looks like a great spot. When I grow up, thats what I want to do :), if my ole body lets me!

I'll run into one of you sooner or later. I'm headed back up around second week Oct.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's all easy as long as you figure out the pretty intense level of technical qizardry... more than regular dude climbing. Allows you to do stupid shit alone! :-)

Put a page up for the thing I did: http://mountainproject.com/v/hoop-dreams/108362383
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Stupid shit....oh I'm all over it... Lol. Ain't that the truth!
As I get used to the site and players I find more interest. I'm keeping an eye on any seminar type stuff you may do. While my days of falling off rocks with a web harness and beaners at Joshua tree in the late 70's is afar cry from the technical stuff you guys do, I can still hold my own with 85 lb and double packing supplies in. Pins and pitons, young man, pins and pitons... Lol

I'm headed back in for about 5-6 weeks next week, so sooner or later will say hi for real!

Great site, great people.

Keep up the good work.....