Dragons Head and Jepson Peak from Vivian Creek

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

On Wednesday, I went up Vivian Creek to hit Jepson Peak and Dragons Head. I timed leaving my house so I would arrive shortly after the gate at Vivian opened at 6:00 AM. With rain earlier in the week, the trail was damp, but firm. It was a cool 57F at the trailhead and warmed up to 70F. The weather was perfect. My last trip on Vivian Creek was in June, but this may be the best time of year to go. Cooler, no biting flies, strong flow at Vivian and High Creek, decent flow at Halfway.

I hit Jepson first, after climbing a few false summits, making it harder than it had to be. Then I followed Sky High Trail to the point above the saddle with Dragons Head. Descended off trail and up the use trail. Crazy drop offs and awesome views on Dragons Head. Really worth the extra effort.

Full trip report:
http://ironhiker.blogspot.com/2013/09/d ... -peak.html

Dry Lake from Jepson Peak

Dragons Head

The maw
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Is that the steepest gully heading down from Dragons Head?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Hey Taco,

I think the gully on the south side, the other side of the "head" is steeper, but I didn't go over the summit to get a good look at it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Gotcha, thanks. Been looking at climbing the steepest couloir that's kinda facing east for a few years now.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome! That stuff looks crumbly to me, but I'm a novice rock climber. It's definitely at the upper end of the epic scale.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice, long solo teke. If I ever finish with the San Gabes, I'll have to make my way east to check this area out. Thanks for the info.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Rico,

We are lucky to have three major ranges within 90 minutes of LA. All with a slightly different flavor. Too many mountains and not enough time.