Wilderness designation?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I got this email from the Baldy Ski Lifts today, just wondering what others might think about it... I'm not a skier so expansion of that area doesn't mean a lot to me but certainly plenty of other people like that stuff.
Of course if we never have winter again none of it matters!

This Saturday citizens of the 32nd Congressional District of California led by Congresswoman Judy Chu will gather at a Town Hall Meeting to discuss the San Gabriel National Recreation Area including Mt Baldy Ski Lifts. Some groups hope to see our Wilderness Areas expand, which would prevent development that has been in the works since the inception of the the Mt Baldy Ski Lifts in the 1950s. We hope that Congresswoman Chu will hear the voices of her constituents and protect our right to enjoy the mountains of Southern California.

Hermosa Films produced a short documentary in 1980 in response to this threat to Mt Baldy. With the exception of some changing statistics, we think it still does a great job of describing our current situation. And of course, the late 70s/early 80s style of this film is quite entertaining.

Thankfully, we have a Congresswoman who is interested in protecting our natural wonders and investing in resources to make them more enjoyable to the 2 million people in the San Gabriel Valley. Unfortunately, she has not yet heard from outdoor enthusiasts that hope for development of our ski area into the Lytle Creek Watershed. Instead, she is being asked by special interest groups to include the backside of our mountain, which is already included in the Mt Baldy Ski Lifts Special use permit, in a proposed extension to existing Wildreness Areas. If this happens, any chance for development of the Mt Baldy Ski Lifts and the opportunity for skiers and snowboarders to explore the backside of our mountain with lift access will be lost. As a community of outdoor enthusiasts that know the unique feeling of skiing or boarding fresh powder on beautiful terrain, we must stand together for the freedom to develop and explore this area.

JOIN US!
Show our Congresswoman the interest of skiers and snowboarders in the San Gabriel Valley
Keep expansion of Wilderness Areas from the Lytle Creek Watershed

10AM - Claremont
Taylor Reception Hall
1775 N. Indian Hill Blvd, Claremont CA 91711

(Taylor Hall is the building north of Claremont High School, on the corner of Scripps and Indian Hill.)
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Philosophically I am against federal designation of "wilderness areas," which means I'm also against environmentalist groups, such as San Gabriel Mountains Forever, who propose establishing or expanding such areas. I don't particularly care if the ski lift expands operations to Stockton Flat. But they should have the right to do so without federal interference.
tracker

Post by tracker »

The trouble with a change in legal status is how the language of the law will be applied in the future. Right now there is only one goal and that is to market the idea so it appeals to the broadest range of people.
:twisted: The devil will be in the details; and not apparent for many years.