Icehouse Saddle

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

We've all been up there about a million times, but last weekend I added to that total. Like usual, needed to get out of the house and the gf was going with me so that limited the choices a bit. We walked up to Cedar Glen, then took the Chapman Trail to the saddle and back down the main trail.
I like Chapman more, one big reason is it's a LOT less crowded. But since it's higher on the canyon wall, the views are much more dramatic.
Water was flowing below Cedar Glen, hard to see but easy to hear under all the brush. And of course Columbine Spring made for a cool clear refreshing drink.
Anyway, just your basic 10-mile day when including the fact that parking after 7:00am on a weekend means way up the road.

A few pics below.

Trailhead still in the shade.

New bridge work. Actually I don't know how new it is since I don't get this way too often.

Trail junction. Decision time. And some bad spelling.

A little sunny at the start but quickly back into the big trees. Sky was a nice blue.

Lots of green stuff along the little creek or stream or whatever it is below Cedar Glen.

What are these berry-looking things?

Cedar Glen. Didn't hang around here too long because of the bugs.

Chapman trail just below the junction with the main trail.

Baldy from the main trail.

Baldy on the way down. I zoomed all the way in (375mm) but couldn't see any people in my photos.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I saw the bridge being built on July 13. A couple adults were putting it together while a dozen teenagers stood around watching.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Think all of them got credit for the Eagle Scout project?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

A couple adults were putting it together while a dozen teenagers stood around watching.
That sounds very similar to what happens at my house every weekend. :lol: