Peak guessing

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Taking some photos from San Gorgonio, I had no idea what I was looking at.

This was taken looking south. Jacinto is out of picture to the left. I could see 4 or 5 levels of peaks. Do we think all of these were in California, with the last level peaks west of San Diego? I was kinda hoping I could see something in Mexico, but I'm assuming it would have to be really clear for that.

This, I believe, was looking north, or a little northeast. I'm just looking at a topo map, maybe Grinnell to the right, Sugarloaf to the left? Whats in the background? Of course my guessing is not very good!

Well sadly I forgot which direction I was when taking this, maybe southwest:

Also there was a fire or something west of Gorgonio:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Look at google earth. Put your eye right on top of SG and aim in so it's like your pic and check around. I don't know about the first three pics but the last one I zoomed in on and found this. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

First pic I have no clue.

The bump on the left of the second picture is Sugarloaf Peak. Beyond it is the Big Bear Lake Valley, then the ridgeline in the haze is the Holcomb Valley-area hills north of Big Bear Lake.

Third picture shows Santiago and Mojeska Peaks, between Riverside and Orange Counties in the Santa Ana Mtns.

You might want to become familiar with map reading , compass use, and the local peaks if you're planning to do any regular hiking in the So Cal area in the future. Don't rely on just a GPS unit; they have their limitations, and basic map and compass skills are pretty easy to learn.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Re: 1st picture: I seriously doubt you could see anything in Mexico with that much haze. And I'm sure you meant "east" of San Diego instead of west...I hope. It's been about 20 years since I was up there and the view does not look familiar...sorry.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

!st pic shows Little San Berdoo Mountains. Out towards JTree as well.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

HikeUp wrote:Re: 1st picture: I seriously doubt you could see anything in Mexico with that much haze. And I'm sure you meant "east" of San Diego instead of west...I hope. It's been about 20 years since I was up there and the view does not look familiar...sorry.
Woops yes that's what I meant. I can differentiate between water and land! (I think)
phydeux wrote: You might want to become familiar with map reading , compass use, and the local peaks if you're planning to do any regular hiking in the So Cal area in the future. Don't rely on just a GPS unit; they have their limitations, and basic map and compass skills are pretty easy to learn.
:?:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

phydeux wrote:First pic I have no clue.

The bump on the left of the second picture is Sugarloaf Peak. Beyond it is the Big Bear Lake Valley, then the ridgeline in the haze is the Holcomb Valley-area hills north of Big Bear Lake.
Hmm. I would have said the relatively close peak on the rightwas Sugarloaf, the one with all the bare spots. If it's not Sugarloaf, what is it?
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Hmm. I would have said the relatively close peak on the rightwas Sugarloaf, the one with all the bare spots. If it's not Sugarloaf, what is it?
Could it be Lake Peak?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Lake peak is further south. That is Sugarloaf. Booyah.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, I thought that was Sugarloaf. It's pretty distinctive and it stands out.

Lake Pk is way off to your right from the view of that photo.