Forest service contact for graffiti removal in Eaton Canyon

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
hamik

Post by hamik »

Last summer the CAC and I organized a clean-up of Eaton Canyon, which is a canyon in the San Gabriels near Pasadena. It's the first canyoneering experience for many an LA-based adventurer, and it's really kind of mind-blowing (at least to a native Angeleno like yours truly) that there could be such a cool natural gem basically in the city. There's a little TR here for a rundown of how it went last year.

The canyon is still pretty dirty despite the participation of fifty people for trash and graffiti removal. We want to scale up the operation this year to remove more trash and more importantly to remove more graffiti. Last year we used a graffiti removal chemical and scrubs (carefully to avoid contaminating the stream), but it takes too much manpower to make a dent in the graffiti that way. We're considering painting over it with stone-colored paint this year, but before doing that we'd obviously want to coordinate with the forest service and see if they have a paint they'd want to supply or have us use.

If you know anyone in the forest service who I can contact about this project, which would happen in early fall, please let me know who to call or email. Thanks!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Hi Hamik,

You may find the answer in the latest Los Angeles River Ranger District Volunteer Newsletter...
http://www.mtlowe.co/images/Newsletters/13%20AUG%20.pdf
hamik

Post by hamik »

Alrighty, this event is on! We have the support of the Angeles National Forest this time, and hopefully the AAC and Access Fund will help us out again too. Here's the event page, and here's the Facebook page. RSVP on either page so I can get enough food for the (free!) BBQ at Victory Park :-)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Might need more anti-spraypaint stuff this time. More graffiti than last time. Just got back from Eaton. Good amount of trash as well, would say a large haulbag or two would probably cover it. :?
hamik

Post by hamik »

On it, Ryan. Getting several gallons of Taginator (which is supposedly an environmentally safe agent), some brushes, some rags, and some bottles for packing out the run-off. Also getting some pressure sprayers. Bummer about more graffiti and trash... :-(. If you know people who canyoneer Eaton a lot please let them know about the clean-up so we can get rid of a lot of the graffiti. See ya soon!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Spreading the word!