Etiwanda Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I need to get some miles in, let's call it training for my OV-Whitney backpack trip in three weeks...
Thought about Mt Wilson but I knew the main trail would be brutally hot so I figured Cucamonga Peak would be good, combining a little elevation plus some miles. Along the way I changed my mind and figured I would head towards Etiwanda, since I had never been to that peak.
Stopped at the visitor's center in Baldy Village to get the Cucamong Wilderness permit and the guy there told me to make sure I brought plenty of water. I had my 70-ounce Camelbak bladder plus another 20-ounce bottle, thought it might be enough. As per recent discussion, the parking lot was jammed when I finally got there at 0820, I had to park a couple curves up the road. Fortunately I was still early enough so that the long climb from the 2-mile mark to Columbine was still mostly shaded. I had a drink and filled my bottle there, but didn't hang around since it was so crowded on the trail. I passed 66 people on the way to the Saddle, while 37 more headed down past me. Dang, that's way too many for me. 39 were at the Saddle so I blew right through there and didn't stop until I got to the Cucamonga/Bighorn saddle. Got a nice breeze there, and the clear skies made Catalina seem like it was only 30 miles away instead of nearly 70.
Briefly thought about tagging Cucamonga along the way, but my recent sedentary habits meant my legs were a little dead so I pushed ahead towards Etiwanda. Since I had never been on that trail it was all new, and actually pretty nice. I was a little concerned that it kept going downhill, but I could occasionally see the big outcrop of rocks ahead. Evidently I missed the cutoff to the summit, and staying on the trail took me downhill more around the north side. So I just went straight up, with the idea that if I felt a little lost I could still use Telegraph Peak as a landmark to find the trail again. Once I climbed the rock pile I realized the summit was a little farther southwest and a quick five minute walk put me there. I looked around but didn't see a marker or summit register, so I had the rest of my PowerBar and finished the water from my bottle. When I picked up my pack to leave, it felt really light - and I realized that I would have to ration water going down....never a good idea! Anyway, I took the last gulp of fluid just as I left the Saddle again, since I knew exactly how long it would be until Columbine Spring. Once I got there I drank a full bottle and filled the bladder with another. That 20 ounces was gone by the time I reached the parking lot, which was incredibly hot at 3:30 in the afternoon. The walk back to the truck was painful, combination of tired, thirsty and hot is never fun.
Despite all that it was another great day in the mountains.

Notes.... I didn't see as much trash as usual, but tying orange paper streamers every couple hundred yards to mark some kind of trail is just wrong. I picked up a few that were laying in the dirt.
Most of the asians that go up there carry way too much stuff. I'm something of a gear nerd too, but you don't need a stuffed 65-litre pack to go for a dayhike in Icehouse. I'm not UL or anything but my small pack can haul everything I need for a hot day on a well-established trail. Perhaps I'll start another discussion about that over in the gear section.

A few pics:

Trailhead at 8:30 am.

Not a huge amount of water but still some nice pools to soak your feet.

I was constantly slowing down with all the people in front of me.

The line just before the saddle. Didn't pass them so they are not included in my count.

Looking out from the Cucamonga/Bighorn saddle.

Cucamonga Peak signpost is down again, no sign on the ground anywhere.

Nice little "meadow" where I took a snack break. Etiwanda in view.

I missed this, since it really just looked like someone cutting switchbacks up - so I went straight for another half mile or so.

Going up to what I thought was the peak. Interesting little climb anyway.

Once I reached that little summit I saw the higher point over there...

Posing. Great view from here, high desert, San G, San J, Catalina, Baldy.

This view never gets old.

I was really dragging on the uphill parts before Icehouse Saddle.

Didn't even notice this on the way up - new sign at the trailhead.

Reward at home. Was thinking about something like this the whole way down.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

I agree with the parking. When we got there on Saturday morning, the parking lot was already full at 7AM.

A lot of people on the Saddle too...but yes, not a lot of trash even at Timber.