Mt Wilson from Chantry Flat via Winter Crk and Mt Wilson Tr

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://goo.gl/q9dtk

Story:
An oldie but a goodie

Have done this trip 350 to 400+ times since the early 1990's about 3½ hrs round trip but I don't have any GPS data to support that assertion

Bernd had never done Mt Wilson from Chantry. That's what happens when you sit at home drinking beer, watching fishing and golf on TV! ;)

Once upon a time when I'd arrive at Chantry Flat early, I'd be alone or be one of 2 -3 other hikers...

No more. The parking lot was half full at 10 after 6am.

We didn't see them on Upper Winter Creek, Winter Creek nor Mt Wilson Trails to the summit. Though the trail wasn't deserted either it's no Baldy Bowl Tr either.

Anyway get there early if you don't want to park way down the road

Made good time going up but my lack of my requisite stretching contributed to a minor strain of my right calf slowing my down hill time...

Many thanks to the JPL Hiking Club and whomever else "re-aligned" the Manzanita Ridge segment off the ridge into the shade
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hey Matt,
The realignment of the Manzanita Ridge Trail off to the shady north side was put in by the Angeles Crest 100 trail group a few years back. I believe it is known as the "Winton Bypass" after Hal Winton, an AC race director and head of the AC trail working group. Or were you thinking of a different re-route?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

No No that's it... I apparently was wrong... I remember talking with some JPL hiking clubbers and assumed they where behind it...

It will now and forever be known as the "Winton Bypass" and my most sincere thanks to all who got this done what ever their role
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Mike P wrote: The realignment of the Manzanita Ridge Trail off to the shady north side was put in by the Angeles Crest 100 trail group a few years back. I believe it is known as the "Winton Bypass" after Hal Winton, an AC race director and head of the AC trail working group.
Well, that explains why this segment doesn't match the topo map. Something I've been wondering for awhile.

Now, can either of you explain to me where the Santa Anita Ridge turns into the Manzanita Ridge? Is it the left turn at Point 4101?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

These names have no "Official" status. Mostly it is locally known as "Manzanita Ridge", AKA "Santa Anita Ridge" obscurely as "San Oleane Ridge" or the even more obscure "Winter Creek Ridge" and wayout there "Little Santa Anita Ridge"

Why it is "Manzanita" I couldn't say There are not great groves of Manzanita, perhaps this local name dates back to the 1880-1890-1900 era Martins Camp etc...When the only way to Mt Wilson was the Mt Wilson Trail
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Sean wrote:
Mike P wrote: The realignment of the Manzanita Ridge Trail off to the shady north side was put in by the Angeles Crest 100 trail group a few years back. I believe it is known as the "Winton Bypass" after Hal Winton, an AC race director and head of the AC trail working group.
Well, that explains why this segment doesn't match the topo map. Something I've been wondering for awhile.
One reason the bypass was built was to avoid the damage that Manzanita Ridge received from dozer lines when fires scorched the front range in that area. Specifically, the Kinneloa Fire and its subsequent dozer line destroyed the Manzanita Ridge trail in 1993. The Manzanita Ridge (or Winton) Bypass was finished ~1998 or 1999.
(If I'm mistaken please let me know... memory can a dangerous thing.)