trail running..beat my record if you can

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
fortified

Post by fortified »

OPEN DARE TO ANYONE.....BEAT MY RECORD
Two different trail races.
RACE A) Henninger flatS from the Bridge is 30:46
RACE B) Same route but continue to the "LARFCP 1948 cement structure" on Harvard ridge. I don't remember, but it's about six miles plus. Its at the 4,215 foot level. 1 hour 19 min is my time right now.
I am not now, nor have ever been a good runner. I am just addicted to the Natural Endorphin drop when running harder than I should.
My best clock times are walking fast on the steep parts, and running on the flat to mostly flat parts.
For the Henninger, I take no water. I consider the Bridge, and the Walnut trail shortcut the same difficulty. Walnut is shorter, but has 100 ft. more climb.
I am trying to beat my record of twenty years ago, of 28:24. But now at the age of 56 I have been going at it for over almost two years.
The Race B exists because I am trying to race to Wilson is two hours. But I seem to be running out of gas, and getting dizzy about ten minute after this point. I take 6 ounces of fruit juice/water, and four ounces of strong coffee, and a small bit of emergency energy food. I re-fill the water at Henninger. They have a strong warning about the water not being tested, but I am still alive.
I usually run not long before sunset. The iphone is great for timing, note taking, and flashlight all in one.
Since it got hot, I have been cheating with a four minute water cool-off at Henninger, that is off the clock. So technically I would say it is 1:23:00
Anyone?.........
***************UPDATE***********************
I am now down to 29:15, which is 51 seconds from my all time record 20 years ago. But my knee is beginning to rip one of those damn ligaments again. If it continues, it's all over for a while.
It never happens running uphill. It's always walking downhill, or getting up from a chair two hours after getting home..........
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

And likewise. Garcia Trail in Azusa, 1.2m, 1,200ft or so elevation loss, downhill in 8:27. :)

I'm sorta organizing a trail race in the Crystal Lake area, if you'd ever be interested in something like that.

Cheers
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I have no idea of those landmarks, but assuming they are all on the toll road?

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=419297
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

fortified wrote: I seem to be running out of gas, and getting dizzy about ten minute after this point. I take 6 ounces of fruit juice/water, and four ounces of strong coffee, and a small bit of emergency energy food.
I've read in a few different sources now that stimulant drinks like Red Bull and coffee are not ideal for trail runners and can have negative side effects including dizziness. For a two hour run you could probably get away with electrolyte or coconut water and four or five gels.

I'm not normally a trail runner, either. I might give race A a shot, though, just for fun. Probably finish a few minutes after you.
fortified

Post by fortified »

@TACO....Thanks for the idea. I have never been to Garcia trail. I will definitely do it soon. As for racing downhill. The original reason I trail run is that slow running or even walking fast is the same cardio as running fast on flat land.........and saves the knees, which I have had problems with since I was 18. This hike looks like an average of a 20% grade. I only workout hard uphill. Downhill is the part to enjoy the natural endorphin drop. Isn't this in more of a Bear area than Altadena foothills?
fortified

Post by fortified »

@SEAN,
As crazy as this sounds......I used to take Ephedrine before running.
I used to drink on most weekends.
The combination along with running as hard as you can, could be deadly.
I got Arrhythmia that would not go away. I decided to not drop dead on a trail while I had kids. I quit junk food as well as the preceding, and lost 20 pounds without trying .....But damn, now the sugar cravings. That is next.
everyday

Post by everyday »

:shock:
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

fortified wrote: But damn, now the sugar cravings. That is next.
It has taken me a long time to wean myself off of soda. I drink maybe one a week now. Most of my sugar comes from other sources, like fruit and Clif bars.

Have you considered reducing or eliminating your caffeine intake during a run and replacing with more fruit juice? 4 ounces of coffee has about 50mg of caffeine. Maybe try 2 ounces, or replace with one caffeine GU gel, which also contains 100 nutritional calories. Coffee is worthless for calories.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Work took me to Pasadena today, so afterward I went over to Eaton Canyon and ran up to Henninger from the bridge. My time was 33:34. As predicted, you beat me by a few minutes.

I started at 5:18 PM. It was still a little warm, but I felt pretty good during the entire power walk/run uphill. I might be able to shave a minute or two with cooler temps and better prep.

Thanks for the challenge.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dude I go smokin' up that hill with canyoneering crap. You guys gotta combine that uphill speedmarch/run with a speed run of Eaton Canyon. Yeehaw!
hamik

Post by hamik »

Chad Kellogg and I put up 2:24 on the Iron Mountain trail from the parking lot to the summit. Pretty sure I can drop that with a little bit of training. I think some D1 XC runner put up a faster time, no? Anyone know the time?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

hamik wrote: Chad Kellogg and I put up 2:24 on the Iron Mountain trail from the parking lot to the summit.
Brett Maune did Iron in 1:52:56, and he says a co-worker claims doing around 1:36 about two decades ago. Brett is a two-time winner of the Barkley and he has shattered a bunch of the records in this area over the past couple years.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/i ... thread=201
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

$*#*!!!

1:52 up and 3:06 RT?!? Most impressive. How do you run down Iron and only fall once? I fall more than that walking down. By my calc, that's an average pace of 4.38 mph.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: How do you run down Iron and only fall once? I fall more than that walking down. By my calc, that's an average pace of 4.38 mph.
He is some sort of phenomenon, both physically and mentally. People doubted his JMT unsupported speed record in 2009 until he won the Barkley. I've learned a lot from reading his amazing trip reports.
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Sean wrote:
tekewin wrote: How do you run down Iron and only fall once? I fall more than that walking down. By my calc, that's an average pace of 4.38 mph.
He is some sort of phenomenon, both physically and mentally. People doubted his JMT unsupported speed record in 2009 until he won the Barkley. I've learned a lot from reading his amazing trip reports.
His trail report on the SoCal Triple Crown is excellent reading as well.