Thunder

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

OK, not a big deal but it was the first of three hikes over the long weekend. My gf and I went to the recently-mentioned moonlight hike thing at the Notch on Friday night, riding the lift up. So I figured let's do a little hike to at least rationalize the food and of course Thunder came to mind since it's easier for her. Well, this was a little tough....
Rather than take the road up, I said why don't we just go up the ski run? After walking up towards chair 2 I found that wasn't the right way and so we went down to the next road. Figured that was the one that intersects just below the Notch, and had to go down into the little bowl area. From there we made it over to the main run, where the gf said no way, too steep. Yes, it was steep! So we went up one of the other runs, but I think it was longer. Lots of rest stops, and trying to find a good way up through the scree slope was not easy. Found a couple of areas where the water runs off, since they are full of rocks the walking was marginally easier.
Afterwards we walked down the road and had a pretty good dinner of tri-tip, bbq chicken, salad and a Long Hammer IPA for me. Also met some nice folks also from Claremont so it was fun to talk about the good old days.

Pics:

Just reaching the lift. I never knew exactly the elevation gain for this part.

Riding up.

The destination.

Heading up the slope.

Proof we made it.

Looking over at Telegraph as the sun began to set.

Just about clear enough to see Mt Wilson.

High desert sunset.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Nice photos! I believe the elevation gain is around 1300? I plan on heading that way next month...hopefully explore the 3 T's area.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pictures! Looks like ya'll had fun.