Guffy to Pine Mountain to Cabin Flat Loop 3/28-3/29

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

After waiting busy tables all memorial day weekend, I ended up with a day and a half off, having to be back a work on Wednesday night. The San Gabe high country sounded nice for a night.
We decided to take the pine mountain to cabin flat loop. We parked at Guffy (the gate any further is closed), south PCT, up to Pine Meowton, down Pine ridge, looked over to fish fork, down to cabin flat camp, and then back up the road in the morning.

Off from Guffy at 730. High clouds, cool weather from the storm that hit up north a few a few days ago. The beezies nearly blew us off the north devils backbone trail. Nice views as always. Peaked out at 1100. Started down pine ridge and saw a heard of bighorn, my first time see any in the gabes, real amazing, must have been 15 of them.

Also enjoyed the views of surrounding mountains and flowers. Met up with the trail towards columbine spring, lots of birds there; finch, western tanger, spotted towhee. Bobcat and bear tracks, along with scat. Filled up, good flow as always.

Continued down to Cabin Flat, beautiful wild flower displays, cherry bush, flannel brush, lupine, paint brush, phecilia, thistles, poppies, more...
This place is a real jewel. I am real glad they closed it off to car campers.

Woke up this morning at 600. Explored the upper reaches of the canyon off trail. Back to the car at 1045. Moral of the story, aliens do exist.

-Fris

ImageOld Baldy from Pine Mountain
ImageWhere dust clouds meet inversion clouds
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Click to see full size image
I counted 14 big horns in this picture.

Columbine Spring, wit good flows

Camp for a night.

Anyone know what this tan mineral is in the water here? Sulfer smell. It leaves a sediment on everything in the water. I ask because I left my beers in there for an hour and the sediment was starting to stick to the cans. weird. anyone know?

Bear country.

Up Prairie wash towards n. devils backbone and pct.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wow. Nice pictures!