Wilson 5-26

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
galt1905

Post by galt1905 »

Went up Wilson today. I got there at about 6:30 and motored up, only stopping for a bite at Manzanita Ridge. I got to the top at about 9:30. Then, instead of the usual, lame turning around and going back down, I decided to tour everything the summit of Mt Wilson had to offer for 2 hours.

I walked around all the telescopes and such (so-so), visited the museum (cool; had no clue Wilson was such an important observatory), and went to Echo Rock (very cool!). I also opted for a 1-mile trip down Rim Trail. When I reached Vista Point... A DEER!!!!! Of course, no camera. Never again will I be caught w/out one, especially when visiting this area. Of course, I probably only had a 10-second window in which to take a shot of the creature before it skipped away.

I had an enjoyable lunch at the Cosmic Cafe along with probably, say, 20 other people, most of whom made the drive in instead of the walk. I met a couple who were first time hikers up Wilson and shared some info with them as well as taking the obligatory picture of them.

The weather was also lovely. It was cool, and the cloud layer covering LA created that nice "I'm above the clouds" feeling once I reached ~4,500'.

So excited I saw a deer. Probably the best hike I've ever done that didn't include a first trip of a trail. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sounds great! Wilson is fun for so many reasons.