West Fuji - Lone Tree Trail: 02-24-2013

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up the Lone Tree Trail from Rubio Cyn. up to what is called West Fuji (Pt. 3681) by locals. I know Sean on this board has done tons of work restoring this trail and it is a lot of fun to hike - very scenic and with great views from the top. See this previous thread in which this trail has been discussed. The route continues on up to Panorama Pt. and points beyond, but I turned around and retraced my steps back to the car.

Pics.

Looks like Sean did a rather long hike yesterday...

Grove of oak trees (quite serene) as you near the top...

Log book, placed by Sean on West Fuji...
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Cool pictures. Thanks a lot for the report.

If Randall's watching this board, you can send me a message about the mine.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks Sean. Why is it called West Fuji?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Here is the story I heard or read somewhere:

A long time ago someone at Henninger Flats looked to the east and saw summit 3681' immediately rising up like a cone-shaped volcano, similar to Mt. Fuji in Japan. It only appears that way from Henninger or similar angles. This is how it appears from West Fuji:

Thus the upper campground at Henninger was named Fuji Camp, and the peak was called Mt. Fuji.

Then somebody noticed that directly across Eaton Canyon there was another 3681' point. This probably happened sometime after 1966, when the USGS switched the elevation point on West Fuji from 3687' (middle of plateau) to 3681' (end of plateau). With this connection made, the two points became brothers, Fuji East and Fuji West.

I've seen West Fuji from nearly every angle possible, and I'm pretty sure it never resembles the Fuji in Japan. And the highpoint of the plateau isn't really 3681'. But with such a unique story, does anyone really care?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Good hike.....LOL at those houses trying to defeat geology.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the story Sean. Turns out I've been to both E&W Fuji 3681's a couple times now without even having a decent name for them.

AW and I were up to West Fuji a couple years ago on a route straight up from Leontine Falls.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Revisited the Lone Tree Trail again this morning. Went up just beyond the power lines then returned via the SCE Tractor Road. The Lone Tree is in great shape although people are cutting switchbacks. Also saw evidence of some re-routing and/or additional trails. One spot below the towers is marked by several white tags in a tree and there appears to be a trail heading down into Rubio Cyn. - or maybe it was an earlier routing of the Lone Tree? Anyway...great trail - get out there and enjoy it!

Pics.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: One spot below the towers is marked by several white tags in a tree and there appears to be a trail heading down into Rubio Cyn. - or maybe it was an earlier routing of the Lone Tree?
That trail is in the process of being restored. It's not quite ready for prime time.

The Lone Tree switchbacks get a lot of abuse from pet dogs.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I generally find Lone Tree to be in very good shape. But SCE Tractor, if it's what I think it is, I've had a couple slips on. Can get a bit soft and crumbly over there....
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: I generally find Lone Tree to be in very good shape. But SCE Tractor, if it's what I think it is, I've had a couple slips on. Can get a bit soft and crumbly over there....
Yes, the SCE is exactly that - slippery and crumbly.