Mt. McKinley-1/13/13

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

There are some hikers who are just boys and spend time trying to hike simple peaks in the Southland or think that the Sierra is the definition of adventure. Then there are the men who understand adventure and head to distant locations and climb real mountains such as McKinley.

This was to be a winter ascent which only the fool-hardy would attempt. Contrary to popular opinion you do not need any acclimation to attempt this peak, this has been some BS that climbers have sold to newbies to keep them out. I left from sea level and was at the TH at 0930. I was surprised to see so many people at base camp. I even noticed a family with a 8 year old girl, very foolish.

I was the only hiker who would actually attempt the summit that day. I began a long climb up a steep ridge. This is a good moment to mention that Al Gore is right, global warming is an indisputable fact. There was no snow during my entire ascent with only a smattering of snow on the North Face. This also makes me question if Gore did not perhaps also invent the Internet, an inconvenient truth?

I finally reached the top of the ridge and started following it to the next ridge that would take me to the summit. This section had nice drop-offs and if there had been snow would have been much more dangerous probably taking me an extra hour or so with my superior mountaineering skills. At this point all foot prints had disappeared and I realized I was hiking on virgin territory probably not hiked in months.

The wind started picking up and I got blasted by Arctic air that felt like a hug from a sumo wrestler. I continued struggling against the elements until I could see McKinley clearly in front of me. From here I crossed over the old eroded trail to the SW ridge. A long steep climb over crumbly rock was required where any slip could be the difference between instant death and success.

I finally made it to the top, success in just over two hours!! An incredible feat that I could put down as a pioneering accomplishment. Imagine my disappointment when I noticed that someone had been up here only two weeks prior. Damn another strong explorer had challenged McKinley in the middle of the winter and had lived to tell the story. My disappointment was great but I still felt that my accomplishment was something that would be discussed for many years to come.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

epic!

We braved the summit and the south face and descended McKinley Cyn a few years back before the fire

How is Gold Cyn Rd. Last time I was there there was tons of rocks on it.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Hmm. My sense of adventure is probably stunted, and I suppose it is just the little boy in me, but I kinda enjoy the simple peaks of the Southland and the Sierra. That having been said, I'm still able to recognize a worthy accomplishment when I see one. So, congrats on your summit and thanks for sharing your experiences about a mountain alot of us will probably never see for one reason or another.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

David R wrote: There are some hikers who are just boys and spend time trying to hike simple peaks in the Southland or think that the Sierra is the definition of adventure. Then there are the men who understand adventure and head to distant locations and climb real mountains such as McKinley.

This was to be a winter ascent which only the fool-hardy would attempt. Contrary to popular opinion you do not need any acclimation to attempt this peak, this has been some BS that climbers have sold to newbies to keep them out. I left from sea level and was at the TH at 0930. I was surprised to see so many people at base camp. I even noticed a family with a 8 year old girl, very foolish.

I was the only hiker who would actually attempt the summit that day. I began a long climb up a steep ridge. This is a good moment to mention that Al Gore is right, global warming is an indisputable fact. There was no snow during my entire ascent with only a smattering of snow on the North Face. This also makes me question if Gore did not perhaps also invent the Internet, an inconvenient truth?

I finally reached the top of the ridge and started following it to the next ridge that would take me to the summit. This section had nice drop-offs and if there had been snow would have been much more dangerous probably taking me an extra hour or so with my superior mountaineering skills. At this point all foot prints had disappeared and I realized I was hiking on virgin territory probably not hiked in months.

The wind started picking up and I got blasted by Arctic air that felt like a hug from a sumo wrestler. I continued struggling against the elements until I could see McKinley clearly in front of me. From here I crossed over the old eroded trail to the SW ridge. A long steep climb over crumbly rock was required where any slip could be the difference between instant death and success.

I finally made it to the top, success in just over two hours!! An incredible feat that I could put down as a pioneering accomplishment. Imagine my disappointment when I noticed that someone had been up here only two weeks prior. Damn another strong explorer had challenged McKinley in the middle of the winter and had lived to tell the story. My disappointment was great but I still felt that my accomplishment was something that would be discussed for many years to come.
My bad I thought you trying to be funny - I admit it, I mistook this to be real attemt to convince people you did the one is Alaska - fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, just a fool :D
cab

Post by cab »

I, for one, really enjoyed this epic tale of a truly hardcore mountaineering experience. Nice write-up.

Btw, I think there are other Mt McKinley's besides the one in Alaska. There's even one right here in our beloved San Gabriel Mountains!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

cab wrote: I, for one, really enjoyed this epic tale of a truly hardcore mountaineering experience. Nice write-up.

Btw, I think there are other Mt McKinley's besides the one in Alaska. There's even one right here in our beloved San Gabriel Mountains!
It's funny no matter how you slice it. Point taken :D
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Good job on the day hike of Mt. McKinley. I day hiked Mt. Ararat a few weeks ago, I nearly lost a leg due to the conditions. (climbing a barbed wire fence)
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

As mentioned above, which McKinley was this? There's one in the San Gabriel Mountains, the San Bernardino Mountains, one in Colorado, and the well-known continental summit in Alaska.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

:lol: :lol: Bravo!! I admire your extreme outdoor skill and fortitude. I too have day hiked Mt. McKinley, although it was a few years ago. I was younger and more fit (sort of). I remember the climb being very much uphill on the way there, and then downhill on the way back. Also, the wind at the top was so ferocious, I and many others in my group put on jackets.

No supplemental O2 was needed.

Gold Canyon road is a fine walk on a moonlit night by the way. Silver light shining on the creek, and lots of stars.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

cougarmagic wrote: Gold Canyon road is a fine walk on a moonlit night by the way. Silver light shining on the creek, and lots of stars.
It was eery how this was directly across from a picture of a mountain lion :shock: :D
Eric Su

Post by Eric Su »

Mt. McKinley, ca
Elevation: 4,926 ft
Sierra Club Lower Peaks Section (LPS) List
34° 20' 22'' N; 118° 15' 53'' W
http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=13488
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

And now all is well with the world.

Fucking fantastic TR by the way :D :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That is the most hilarious TR of all time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

+50 Eispiraten points

OH but you daren't challenge DISAPPOINTMENT PEAK, for on her dark north face lies a route SO DEVIOUS, you shant return home alive.

Or the dirt road, you choice.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: The wind started picking up and I got blasted by Arctic air that felt like a hug from a sumo wrestler.
That description of the wind really moved me. I was raised by a family of sumo wrestlers, and they took turns hugging me each day. So I know exactly what you mean.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

LOL!