Middle Vogel canyoneering 12/31/12

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Vogel canyon in the Big Tujunga is quite an inaccessible place as it flows down from Fox Mountain. I managed to get into the canyon once, but found the waterflow too low for it to be worth any significant descent. As time passed by, I forgot that and on this day went back.

In order to get into the upper section, I went for an attempt via Ybarra canyon, which itself is a challenge. There is a ridge separating the 2 canyons, and thanks to the Station Fire, I got up onto the ridge to some nice views at 2.5 hours into the trip. Not bringing a map to the area, I ended up descending into Vogel just below the technical section. Then it was just following the creek back to the road as it eventually hit me that I already had been here once. The creek constricts to a small pool and then some yards downstream I chose the 75ft dry rappel option to avoid a freezing drop into water. After this its the public section, and then a small uphill portion(freshly graded to allow anyone to trash up the place, which had already commenced) to the road. It was kinda of a long walk back to Ybarra. Total time 5.5 hours.

A cascade in the Ybarra technical section. The big log at the end burned to a thin twig indicating the fire was in the gorge.

Ybarra main falls

Looking back at the Big Tujunga road and the Ybarra plateau thats used to travel upstream. In the middle is the drainage used by the trail to get to this point.

Looking upstream at Fox Mtn. At this point, the plateau gets too wild and a descent into Ybarra canyon is in order. There is also a transition from white rock to dark blue/grey.

The ridge is gained and looking downhill towards the road and MtLukens

An amazing view of the east side of Condor Jr and Condor peak

Vogel canyon comes in from the left of the picture, cutting into the southwest side of Fox Mtn.

Again Vogel cutting in from the left, as the final drop in the upper section can be seen.

Prints everywhere in the sand

canyon travel, nothing going on

The pool signals the final drop is coming up.

Reaching BigTujunga canyon road, time to backtrack hehehe
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

That plateau looks mighty interesting. Every time I drive by it, I want to go up there. Thanks for the inspiration. Cool TR.