The Baldy Bowl Dog Patrol

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I just watched some guys video on youtube the other day, and the dogs were following him too. The only problem I have with dogs like that or people with their dogs not on a leash on the trail, they all say they dont bite, but tell that to my daughter when we are in an emergency room for 6 hours with her put under so they can stitch the bite to her 5 year old face :evil:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dude! Your daughter had to go through 6 hours of surgery from a dog bite? That totally sucks. I hope that dog was put down.

HJ
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

yobtaf wrote: I just watched some guys video on youtube the other day, and the dogs were following him too. The only problem I have with dogs like that or people with their dogs not on a leash on the trail, they all say they dont bite, but tell that to my daughter when we are in an emergency room for 6 hours with her put under so they can stitch the bite to her 5 year old face :evil:
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Dude! Your daughter had to go through 6 hours of surgery from a dog bite? That totally sucks. I hope that dog was put down.

HJ
No we were there for 6 hours. They put her under so she wouldn't move so they can do the best job on the stitches. Then they had to bring her out of it and that didn't go well. It was a very scary thing. It was the worst day of my life, and I have seen two friends killed in front of me. But when its your little one, I'm sure you understand Jim, it is a whole different story. And no the dog is still alive today. I wanted to put it down myself, but I wouldn't do my family any good behind bars. You cant fix stupid.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Since when did we lose the right to protect ourselves and our family :?:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

tracker wrote: Since when did we lose the right to protect ourselves and our family :?:
(By the way you didn't lose the right, you just have responsibilities that come with those "Right's")
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Ill stop at this post, I don't want to keep bringing it up. The owner did pay all medical bills, but the scar in the nose looks like crap and they might have to fix that. The dog was put into quarantine and released by animal control, he did pay a fine. My daughter is not afraid of dogs, I don't know if that is good or bad. And I couldn't "kill" the dog. The first thing on my mind was my daughter and getting her to a hospital. For me to take any action against the dog I would have to go back and that would be a crime. sure I thought about poison meat, radiator fluid, and all the other bad things, but I would have to live with that and I am not that kind of person anymore. I have enough regrets from bad judgement in my punk rock years, I don't need anymore in my life.

Oh and I am a dog owner too. I learned from this. I dont let my dog around kids I dont know. I would never want to be on the other side of the fence and live with that.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Evidently I should said what I was reacting to instead of just blurting out. I sure don't support someone having a loose dog as some perceived form of protection; although I know it is as popular as it is reckless. libitmo, I'm right there with you with everything you said.
I had got the impression from the earlier post that taking action against the dog wasn't considered for fear of the justice system. For revenge? No, that could be a problem. To prevent the injury? Anything goes.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Sunday morning I decided to catch the sunrise from Baldy's summit for the first time. Went up the Baldy Bowl trail and got to the summit at 6:11 AM. Guess who was up there? Yep, the same dogs. I couldn't believe it. They had followed up a pair of campers and apparently spent the night on the summit with them. Then the dogs followed me down to the Notch, where they must have smelled the food and decided to stay. The lift operator told me the black dog's name is Tobias.

Incidentally, my old cell phone takes funky pictures of the sunlight.

tracker

Post by tracker »

Cool pic. Most of us have to pay extra to get those effects. :lol:
hiiker

Post by hiiker »

I wonder if anyone has bothered to contact the authorities (such as Animal Control) about these stray dogs?

San Berdo Co. Animal Control - 800-472-5609
LA Co. Animal Control - 626-962-3577
drmizamy

Post by drmizamy »

Hosted at the ski hut this past weekend (Thanksgiving) and when we got to the hut on Wednesday these two dogs were there. Still there in the morning when we got up. They went to the summit with some hikers Thursday morning but came back to the hut. Ditto for Friday. The dogs actually ended up staying at the hut until Sunday, and when we hiked out we brought them down with us. We were going to try to keep them together while one of us drove down to get cell coverage. However, when we got past the gate, they took off.

I called the number on the tag and talked to the owner, who implied that it was our group's fault the dogs were there because we fed them. She indicated that this happened a lot and that they (the owners) always had to go and find their dogs because other people fed them. As a dog owner, I'm not about to let a dog starve so yes we did give them food and water.

Both dogs were very sweet and they deserve a safe home where they are not out running in the streets of Baldy Village. Since this apparently happens a lot and it isn't an isolated incidence of the dogs getting lose, I plan on calling animal control and reporting the owners.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

drmizamy wrote: Both dogs were very sweet and they deserve a safe home where they are not out running in the streets of Baldy Village. Since this apparently happens a lot and it isn't an isolated incidence of the dogs getting lose, I plan on calling animal control and reporting the owners.
That seems reasonable, especially since you already contacted the owners directly and got the response that you did.
wiggingout

Post by wiggingout »

So cool, I hiked with these two awesome dogs back in October for about half my hike and this is the second story I hear of somebody meeting them. They are friendly dogs, I was tempted to take these bad boys home but saw the tags but never got close enough to see a phone number. I hope to run into them again in the future.
Bonan

Post by Bonan »

These two dogs, and a third spent the day at the ski hut yesterday (Sunday the 13th).They were there at 8 when I arrived, and in the same spot at 3pm. I assume that is a normal thing, follow someone up and hang out, stick with whoever has the most food, or best smell.
Wild

Post by Wild »

Haha, I also saw those dogs running around Manker Flats on Sunday. It was really cool to see them since I had read this thread just the day before ;) They did not follow us up the hill though!

drmizamy

Post by drmizamy »

wiggingout wrote: So cool, I hiked with these two awesome dogs back in October for about half my hike and this is the second story I hear of somebody meeting them. They are friendly dogs, I was tempted to take these bad boys home but saw the tags but never got close enough to see a phone number. I hope to run into them again in the future.
Wiggingout - They are awesome dogs! I think that you should take the dogs home with you the next time you run into them. Their owners obviously do not care about their welfare and I've seen them run in front of cars in Manker Flats.