Mt Lukens-Stone Canyon Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I've been doing lots of hiking the past month or so but hadn't read any write-ups on conditions in the recently opened fire areas and their trails. I'm hoping this winter to continue to check out the NE sections and see how things are faring.

Today I hiked Stone Canyon Trail to Lukens which used to be one of my favorite work outs since you can't beat the accessibility and elevation gain. Here are my observations on the status of the trail. Firstly, the crossing of the Tujunga Creek has been moved further upstream on the "trail" then where it originally was which is a minor change since there are many places to cross the creek.

The lower section of the trail which I define until you move into the canyon next to Stone is in almost as good shape as it was prior to the fire. There may be more rocks on the trail but you have to remember most of this section burned in a small fire about 10 years ago as well.

The middle section of the trail which I define as climbing up this canyon prior to switchbacking up the side of the ridge is in the worst shape. Immediately upon entering the canyon you hit a simple section to hike but the most problematic long term for the trail. There is a section where the erosion is under the trail and a steep drop off, this section needs to be shored up or it will slip off the side soon enough. The remainder of the middle section has various slight wash outs and erosion that requires you to watch your footing. There is only one sizeable wash out that lost about ten feet of trail on both sides but is easily hikeable. The final switchback out of the middle section was always the narrowest part of the trail and it now is eroded but still passable. This section also has the most poison oak in it.

The top section is in relatively good shape but still lots of slumping and loose rocks to watch out for. This section also has the poodle dog which is easily passable. The final section to the top looks like it was worked by the firefighters as it is very broad and leaves the normal route of the trail. No longer does the trail meet the ridge where the Sister Elsie trail came up, instead it shortens the switchbacks and gets significantly steeper. The original trail can be seen but it is fading fast and goes through some thick poodle dog as I found out when I cut down the ridge on my way back.

Overall the hikers that post here won't have a problem with this trail but where it used to be more popular with the casual hiker, I would suggest waiting until more feet trod this trail and it gets some more clean up. This trail was always exposed but now it is exposed from start to finish unless you get the vagaries of shadow depending on the time of day. This is one of my favorite trails and I can't wait to see it back to its original glory.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

"The top section is in relatively good shape"

I have worked on this trail for many years

#1 The trail has been restored to it's original route.

#2 The work that has been done on the top I did.

I'll be continuing work soon now that the weather has cooled. Hopefully some rain will lessen the fire danger.

The forest service in their infinite wisdom rerouted the trail in the early 1990's without consulting anyone who used the trail.

One word of caution to hikers planning the Stone Cyn / Grizzly Flat loop.

The Grizzly Flat trail is in poor shape, Ertug Ergun died doing this loop early in the summer.

Unless you KNOW where the trail is and are willing to do some serious XC bushwhacking I'd strongly discourage anyone considering it.