Too hot to do anything but lay around

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This spring was great for the cameras. We found a few key places for the lions and managed to capture grooming and napping! The two kittens we were watching grew up and dispersed, and even the female seems to have left the area.

I don't know if I posted this info before, but we did find out through DNA testing that the two kittens in the Verdugos were not related to the two kittens found under a car in Burbank last year. That was a bit of a shocker, and shows there is quite a bit of traveling going on between the Verdugos and the San Gabriels. They are completely separate from the Santa Monica population however, and even P22 in Griffith Park shares no relation to the Verdugo lions.

But for now, everyone is just laying around in the heat. In the spring, we had camera triggers every few days, but now it's about once a week or less. And there's very little movement from all the other species, too. Been seeing a lot of owls lately though.

Whoever is on Facebook is invited to look up and "like" Cougarmagic there. Lots more stuff gets posted, including pics from the UCLA bobcat study.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

<3 Kitties <3

Interesting hearing the crickets pitch change in the first video. Temperature difference maybe?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

davantalus wrote: <3 Kitties <3

Interesting hearing the crickets pitch change in the first video. Temperature difference maybe?
Yeah - I noticed that too. I don't know! Also some nights there are barely any crickets at all, while other nights it's annoyingly loud.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Awesome footage Ms. Magic! A vivid reminder of the wonderful critters that share their forest with us.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks like Bob there was really interested in the cam.

Cool shots all. I particularly like the daylight/full color ones. Great stuff. (and man those lions are freaking beefy) :shock:

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very impressive! Thank you for posting!