Horseshoe Meadow to Mt Langley

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hey there. Was wondering if someone had intel regarding Old Army Pass. I am planning an over-nighter from Horseshoe Meadow to Mt Langley. I realize I could use New Army Pass, but I was hoping to do a little fishing as well.
Much thanks in advance!
IcyBacon

Post by IcyBacon »

I went up Old Army last September, and it was in really good shape aside from a few spots where the original trail had experienced some easily-scrambled rockfall. Given the weak winter I'd assume it's still thoroughly unsketchy, easy to follow, and basically equal to New Army.

Took this about 80% of the way up, just before the trail traverses the high ledge over to the pass itself. Click for absurdly huge.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Nice photoby the way.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Bill,

I was up there the first week of June and there's no snow to speak of, you should be fine using either pass. Last winter was real light, the only snow I've seen in any of the areas was "Glacier Snow & Ice" by the Palisades. Have fun, enjoy your fishing climbing :D
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks for the intel Lilbitmo.
Really looking forward to the trip and a little fishing. :)
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

bill, how was this trip? did you go?
Bill

Post by Bill »

Yes. The trip was great! We picked up our permit in Lone Pine and set out of Horshoe Meadow on 9/16 camping between Cottonwood lakes
4 and 5. We acclimated for a day, and took a day trip to Langley
on 9/18. The weather was awesome, and the fishing was pretty good too. I think in retrospect, the campsite we chose was a little exposed. We may have chosen a spot adjacent to Lk 3 or just back in the trees between lakes 3 and 4, but all in all a great trip!
I'll post a trip report soon.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool. I'll look forward tothe TR.

HJ