Little Jimmy -- My Daughter's First Overnight

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There are those who have subtly hinted that my pack may be a little on the big side.
cynthia23 wrote:HJ, I gotta ask--what the #@$% did you have in that pack?

OK, so what was that big pack on a day hike all about? Well, that was a "dry run." I took the equivalent of a full overnight pack and packed in to Little Jimmy Trail Camp in the Angeles National Forest. I wanted to see if I could carry enough gear for two people (daddy and daughter). I wanted to see if an overnight backpack with my daugher were possible. Keep in mind that I typically have to carry my daughter and that my daughter weighs about 30 lbs. In other words, if I have a 30 lbs pack, when I add my daughter's weight in, I'm carrying 60 lbs.

The dry run was successful, and so this past weekend I took my daughter out for her first overnight backpack. Here's my trip report:

We started out by taking the Pacific Crest Trail (and a little short cut). The PCT parallels Angeles Crest Highway here.

We went up after work, and it was an hour's drive, so it got dark quickly. First order of business was site selection, but a not too distant second was getting dinner ready.

Very quickly thereafter, a very sleepy little hiker retired for the night.

Note the use of an ultralight, floorless shelter. Careful gear selection let me keep the weight down to about 30 lbs for two people including food, fuel, and water.

Sleepy or not, my daughter doesn't sleep late, so we were up pretty early in the morning.

Time to get breakfast started. I'm currently field testing a new Primus OmnilLite Ti which is the newest offering from Primus. On the OmniLite is a "silent" cap (like a muffler for your car but for a stove) from QuietStove.com which I'm also field testing.

In no time at all we've got a nice sausage and cheese omelette.

And after breakfast, we see we've got a happy camper. :)

For those who haven't been, Little Jimmy Trail Camp is a nice spot to camp.

One of the great things about Little Jimmy Trail Camp is the presence of nearby Little Jimmy Spring which is a highly reliable source of clear, cold water.

Well, enough time spent in camp! Let's hit the trail.

Looking to the west over our intended destination, Mt. Islip, the weather is looking good.

But a quick look to the east, changes my opinion. Looks like we might get a little wet today.

Still, the storm is a ways off, so we "stop to smell the roses."

Nearing the summit, we can see that the San Gabriel Mountains Trailbuilders have been hard at work. Fresh trail maintenance.
Thank you, Trailbuilders!

At last, we near the summit ridge for the final push, and the weather continues to hold.

From our position high on the south flank of Mt. Islip, we get a good look at Mt. Hawkins and Hawkins Ridge.

Moving higher, we approach the very summit and encounter the remains of this old cabin. This was the fire lookout's quarters back when a fire lookout was stationed atop Mt. Islip.

Finally, we reach the summit itself. Note the foundation of the old fire lookout tower.

One look at the view and it's clear why the Forest Service chose this spot for a lookout.

Whoa! That storm is hot on our heels. Better get on down the mountain.

For our route down, we chose this, the forested north ridge of Mt. Islip.

There's no formal trail, but there are bits and pieces of a peak-bagger's trail.

From our vantage point, we look WSW at Twin Peaks and its great SSE ridge.

Note in particular Triplet Rocks. This is perhaps the single most difficult summit to attain in all of the San Gabriel Mountains.

Descending further, we enter the more flat areas proximate to Little Jimmy.

From here, we retraced our steps back to our car and made our journey home.

I thank you for joining me for my daughter's first overnight backpack.

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Awesome Jim! Looks like a great time!
longcut

Post by longcut »

awesome report Jim! From a guy who has hiked with small children, I can tell you that your pack looks quite small. Glad you had a good time.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks, guys.

It was pretty cool, and LJ is a perfect spot for a first BP. (and nice and easy for daddy who has to carry 60+ pounds) :)

She sure seemed to take to it. 8)

HJ
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

Another superb travelogue. Thanks for sharing with the SGMDF denizens the tale of Daddy Jim's and daughter's first backpack overnighter. Sixty pounds is a hefty slog, but the preciousness of the cargo lightens the load. Talk about lifting one's spirit--Yay!

Someday she will treasure the memory as much as dear ol' dad does.

Glad you got to enjoy the spectacle of nearby inclement weather,without experiencing the consequences.

Another hat for you: Hikin' Jim, Chef O' da Mountain. Those victuals look mighty tasty, even for someone with a very different 'menu.' (I'll make an exception to relapse! ;)

Thanks also for the ever-helpful background info, e.g. the fire lookout history.

kind regards,
arocknoid
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice daddy-daughter adventure HJ. That post-breakfast pic is super cute.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Uncle Rico wrote: Nice daddy-daughter adventure HJ.
She's actually a good hiking companion. She kind of gets it when we're going over something tricky and holds still. Pretty cool. 8)
Uncle Rico wrote: That post-breakfast pic is super cute.
Thanks. I think she's a little cutester, but I'm pretty biased. Dirty, but cute. :) Her mother grimaces when I get her home. :lol:

HJ
longcut

Post by longcut »

if mommy grimaces when baby comes home, daddy is doing something right.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Totally Beautiful.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

longcut wrote: if mommy grimaces when baby comes home, daddy is doing something right.
I tell her that I'm improving our daughter's immune system.

HJ
gwjones00

Post by gwjones00 »

A mostly lurker here - thanks for the TR. Looks like one of those priceless moments.....
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Great TR Jim! I'll be heading to Little Jimmy next month. We should plan a trip sometime, I'll bring my daughter so your little girl can have a playmate :lol:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very cool, HJ!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nice trip, and pretty cool you can do it with a companion. Nice feast for dinner too, even if it adds a few ounces to the pack.
Just out of curiosity, do you carry a bear canister for food? And are those fresh eggs?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JeffH wrote: Just out of curiosity, do you carry a bear canister for food?
Jeff,

Bear canisters are so bulky. I just really hate them. And they weigh nearly three pounds empty. My shelter is 1 lbs. My sleeping bag is 1 lbs, 3 oz. My pad is 13 oz. My pack is 2 lbs. And I'm going to carry a 2 lbs 12 oz bear canister? I don't think so, at least not unless I really need it. The canister would be my single heaviest piece of gear.

For lower risk areas like the San Gabriels, I carry an UrSack. An UrSack weighs 8oz and unlike a canister, gets smaller as you empty it.
JeffH wrote: And are those fresh eggs?
Yep. Since my pack weight was relatively low and since we were doing a basecamp style backpack, I figured we could get away with real food. We had a really nice salami and cheese omelette on Saturday morning. For lunch we had medium boiled eggs sliced into Ichiban Ramen (not Top Ramen) with dried veggies added. Yum! For supper the previous night we had choriso pumarola (an Argentinian dish) with mashed potatoes. It's funny though. Despite all that hiking, I didn't lose any weight that weekend. Go figure. :lol:

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Wow, great eating. I'll think about that next time I'm staring at yet another package of dried noodles. (Meat Loaf again?...)
I do like to have mashed potatoes, easy to blend with gravy or other stuff and throw in a ziploc, plus it's ready to eat immediately.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JeffH wrote: Wow, great eating. I'll think about that next time I'm staring at yet another package of dried noodles. (Meat Loaf again?...)
I do like to have mashed potatoes, easy to blend with gravy or other stuff and throw in a ziploc, plus it's ready to eat immediately.
Mountain House beef stew + instant mashed potatoes makes a pretty decent quick meal.

Not quite as light, but a packet of chicken and some Knorrs pasta is a really nice one.

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I did the chicken with the rice when I was up there, could have used some beano :oops: Ill use just the pasta from now on. :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: I did the chicken with the rice when I was up there, could have used some beano :oops: Ill use just the pasta from now on. :wink:
Hey, c'mon buddy, free fuel for your stove. :wink:

HJ