mt pinos trail - 7.31.12

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

hey guys-

its been awhile. i've been lurking here lately mainly because ive been hiding in the santa barbara mountains and im not sure that you san gabers would be interested in that :-) however, i headed back down that way, sort of, today.
wife and i hiked mt pinos (chuckle chuckle). i'd never been up there but will definitely be back again. conditions were great: 2 other cars in the lot, slight breeze, 72 degrees, storm clouds in the distance. absolutely beautiful.
i've thrown some pics on the hiking site: http://outdoorsincali.com/2012/07/31/7- ... inos-hike/

has anyone here ever hiked that trail that begins at the summit, near the two overlook benches?
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

MattCav wrote: has anyone here ever hiked that trail that begins at the summit, near the two overlook benches?
i haven't ever started there and gone west - although it is a popular hiking trail / trail running route to cerro noroeste.

go here for details / photos about that 5.5 mile route:

http://longstair.com/~peter/peak2peak.html

but i have hiked up from lockwood valley several times.

go here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/bardley.sm ... 829MtPinos#

report on last five images.

from carp take 101 south ( or better yet, highway 150 east ) to 33 north to lockwood valley road to boy scout camp (camp three falls) road to end. park. hike nine miles to mt pinos. enjoy views. water along route.

you'll pass sawmill mountain - highest point in kern county for you peakbaggers out there.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks for those links... that is really really helpful. getting to pinos, we actually took 33 to lockwood valley road and took that up to frazier park. im pretty sure i remember the sigh for boy scout camp road. i'll have to keep that in mind for the near future.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, Matt,

Nice to see you 'round these parts again. Mt. Pinos is a great spot, and is certainly fair game for this board.

I've got a friend who did a BP up that canyon where the Boy Scout Camp is. He spoke highly of the area. I need to get out that way some time. Sigh. So many hikes; so little time.

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

hey jim!
if you're ever out in these parts and looking for a hiking buddy, let me know. i definitely want to explore mt pinos more.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

MattCav wrote: hey jim!
if you're ever out in these parts and looking for a hiking buddy, let me know. i definitely want to explore mt pinos more.
Sounds good, Matt, although I am awfully slow these days. I'm working in the OC now and often don't get home until 8:00 which isn't giving me a lot of workout time.

HJ