Cucamonga Peak (6/24/2012)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

I hiked Cucamonga Peak yesterday for the first time in about two years. It was mighty lovely, lovelier than what I remembered.

Started at 8:30 am from the already full Icehouse Canyon parking lot; reached the saddle at about 10:20; left the saddle at 10:35; and finally reached Cucamonga a few minutes after 12:00 pm. People were plentiful but thinned out considerably past Icehouse saddle.

This eager canine knows not to cut switchbacks.

Looking at the saddle between Ontario and Bighorn Peaks.

The sign a few minutes below Cucamonga Peak has seen better days.

The view from the top of Cucamonaga is unparalleled.

Finishing this carne asada burrito nearly killed me. Good thing all the uphill walking was done with.

Our old, bald friend.

Such an adorable sign.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. That sign marking the turn off to the peak was in pieces and was lying at the base of the post when I was there a few weeks ago. Looks like someone used electrical tape to piece enough of it together to get it back on the post.

The flagpole thingy atop the peak wasn't there either and neither was that ziploc looking container which I assume is a register.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Maybe you could have the dog hold some classes at the trailhead for all the people that DO cut switchbacks. Turning into another pet peeve....

You're right, excellent views from that summit.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

The summit sign must be pretty new (and it looks very nice to boot). Great looking lunch too! 8)
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

I'm not sure who constructed that summit sign, but it was sparkly new. Don't know if the USFS is in the habit of drawing little mtn. doodles on their trail signs.

That burrito would be considered ordinary at sea level, but at 8,800 feet, it tasted like the food of gods.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

blueshammer wrote: I'm not sure who constructed that summit sign, but it was sparkly new. Don't know if the USFS is in the habit of drawing little mtn. doodles on their trail signs.
Something tells me that was an unofficial effort. :)

HJ