Sunset on Sunset

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I needed to get out - so I drove up after work today to Sunset Peak. For those of you that don't know it, the trailhead is off Glendora Ridge Road just outside Baldy Village. Park across from the obvious parking lot full of no parking signs at Cow Canyon Saddle. For this trip I took the ridge route up, about 100 feet east of the old fire road entrance. I came down the road since it's a lot easier in the dark....
Got there at 6:10, changed my clothes quickly - no traffic so it's easier - and hit the trail. Pretty soon I felt like I was away from everything, with the only sounds the lizards scampering around and my own heavy breathing. Reached the top in about an hour for the 1.8 mile up-and-down route, and actually had some pretty good views. I did wait around and watch the sun set, but as soon as it was behind the hills I hustled out of there to get a little light on my way down. I took the road down, it has been recently scraped since it was mostly free of weeds and I could also see a tractor-type tread in the dirt. While on the way down four bikers passed me, I really don't know where they came from - unless they happened to be on the road while I was on the ridge. Anyway, I made it to the truck in less than an hour, since I ran most of the open (light) sections. I don't have a bright enough headlamp to be running there at night so I just walked fast and tried not to fall over any of the numerous rocks I kicked.
It's 1.8 miles up and about 3 miles down, total elevation gain around 1,000 feet. The ridge route might be a little more, I'm just looking at start/finish numbers there. Nice late afternoon walk, but it can be really hot in the summertime. No water available, I drank most of the two litres in my Camelbak and had some chocolate milk when I got home.

A few pics:

Rock circles. Happy to be here.

Here you can see some of the up and down part, over each of the humps on the way.

I call this spot the hairpin turn, the ridge route intersects the road briefly before heading up again through those yuccas. That is not the summit yet.

Technical part. No rap required.

Almost there. This part is really cool, the road flanked by bushes. It's like the tunnel into the stadium at the end of the Olympic marathon.

Sweaty old man. Look away, kids. Look away.

Registration. I forgot to sign in again.

A little alpenglow, Ontario Peak style.

Sun fading below the far distant hills. I could just make out the towers along Mt. Wilson, as a bonus I could see Catalina and San Clemente islands.

Baldy in the last of the day's light. And what is the fascination with putting flags everywhere? I'm American and proud like the rest of us but this doesn't align with LNT.

I got to see the moon set too, so this was a great day out.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I love seeing the sunset from Sunset. Always really nice.

Agree on the LNT.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Sunset is a nice little peak. We enjoyed it the time we did it. Thanks for posting.