07162012 Baldy Bear

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
echristensen

Post by echristensen »

Saturday morning i was short on time, so quickly hiked up register ridge to Baldy to avoid the crowds. On the way down, below the ski hut a bit, I came around a corner to see an adolescent bear downclimbing a tree. I completely stopped breathing and did my best to scan for his parent, assure him that i meant no harm, and get out of the area. At a distance i snapped some pics, let a group coming up the trail know of the bear's location, and pushed on feeling rather stoked to have seen him.

Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Well done, great response to get that picture, I was on Baldy myself Saturday morning, it was a beautiful day for taking pics, but, I guess you got the shot of the day.

Cheers Phil
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

nice pic
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I know someone at work who's mom lives up Mount Baldy past the Village and I sent him a link to this thread in which he forwarded it to his mom. It turns out the locals have named the bear in question "Cinnamon" and apparently it is a frequent visitor to the area. His mom did add that cinnamon looks skinny due to less berries cause of our non-winter and that all of the bears are really on the hunt for a food source. Hopefully it does not hang around the ski lodge and have humans feed it because conditioning like that is horrible for natural animals. In fact, I have seen a chipmunk at the ski lodge that had been conditioned to get food from humans; he came within a foot of me cause I was enjoying a Clif bar.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Freaking awesome, I would love to see a bear on Baldy.

But I also echo Dragon's concern... The amount of traffic that trail gets, it's hard to believe an idiot or two won't toss him some food.

On Brokeoff Mountain up by Lassen recently, I saw a squirrel literally jumping on people. Think it had been fed a time or two? :?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mcphersonm80 wrote: On Brokeoff Mountain up by Lassen recently, I saw a squirrel literally jumping on people. Think it had been fed a time or two?
:idea: Hey! Anybody got Les Stroud's number? I've got a great idea as to where to film the next Survivorman episode. :wink:

HJ