Kings Canyon:Hwy180 over 2.5 days 7/2-7/4/12

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Made the drive up that dreary long road #245 from Visalia to past Hume Lake. Arrived at Yucca Point in the Sequoia National Forest(not national park) to attempt the supposed mythological journey up the Middle Fork Kings River. Descended Yucca Point via lower Tenmile Creek(the upper portion is also known as Little Utah Brown Water). A low garve V-Shaped granite bottom route, no raps done, but 2X200 rope advised. Arrived at the Middle Fork confluence about 2pm.

The Kings river was as advertised, with a the dreamflows/Rodgers crossing at 450 CFS, or about 150 CFS more as given as the maximum for travel. After being shaken up by the crossing of the South Fork, and not in search of any golden fleece or being Hercules, I went back to the car via the Yucca Point trail. Then drove down into Kings Canyon, sleeping at Sheep campground in the car to avoid the skeeters(there werent that many but I dont like even 1).

Next day, start at 8:15 am Lewis Creek trail. Travelled 1.9 miles and about 1000ft up to intersection with Hotel Creek trail. Then downhill to a tributary to Lewis and uphill again. Just before the trail resumed an uphill march, took off cross country horizontally through a burn area. Then down a steep drainage following some bear prints and a little navigation down to Lewis Creek. This route avoids a rappel in Lewis Creek. Then downstream down Lewis Creek, with canyon sections, granite creek with beginner swift water for this date. 2 raps minimum, the longest one was 75ft, but again 2x200 ropes makes more sense. Finished about 2pm.

Drove over to shortie touristy Roaring River Falls. Scrambled 150-200 ft to the top, but ya need a 30ft rope/handline to get back down to the creek above the falls. I wasnt interested in it considering the canyon was C++++(major water). Note: this one had one of the biggest potholes I have ever seen. Next day, did the same type of scramble(way more difficult and kind of scary) to above Grizzly Falls. Then explored up Boulder Creek(aka that other Roaring River Falls) a few minutes before stopped by its shortie waterfall). Both of them Roaring River impressive canyons.

Then back out stopping by the tourist stuff...plenty of people this July 4. Prices for cooked food in the National Park was about the same as Newcombs. I should have stocked up with gas in Visalia. Just to be on the safe side, I put some in at a private inholding full service only gas station(way old school gas pumps) for about $4.50 per gallon, or 85 cents above market rates along the highways.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Next to Princess campground in the Sequoia National Forest.

This drop in Tenmile creek very similar to 'the pool' in Eaton

Tenmile creek with the Middle Fork coming up. 2 ropes(with plenty of webbing) sure would be helpful..oh and this is a dam release waterflow. Warm but stinky.

Tenmile Falls

Plenty of cascading action in this here parts

Another downclimb

Another pool....

Last pool before the South Fork Kings river

The seal/otter guards the exit of the Middle Fork to all those who dare go upstream.

Cross country drop-in to Lewis Creek

Avoided at least one rap and swin...cool

Lewis canyon travel

Another drop in Lewis

Second to last rap(second drop in picture)

Last rappel..Lewis Creek Falls and the start of red river(at my time of travel)

Above Roaring River looking across to the other side of Kings canyon

Pothole(hard to see since it was far away, but it was deeeeep)

Me sneaking towards Roaring River falls

Top of the precursor drop to Grizzly Falls, a series of fast paced short slippery pothole drops.

Part of the Windy cliffs forming the canyon to Boulder Creek

Boulder Creek falls(there is another falls within feet upstream of this one)

The pools formed by the roaring river type falls I could use this summer
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pics A-dub the touron!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Nice pics A-dub the touron!
gulp.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That is friggin' beautiful.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Really nice stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

HJ
Diamond-x

Post by Diamond-x »

Nice! Rae Lakes loop is on my list.