Tater top

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I know it's not much but still more elevation than the highpoint of 19 states.... I walked up Potato Mountain this morning with a couple friends, they had never been up there. Because of that we went up via Evey Canyon, my usual route is to go from CHWP. Hit the trail at 10:00, reached the summit 45 minutes later. Only spent a couple minutes there since one of the ladies had to be home by noon. Uneventful, plenty of cars on the road as usual but only two others sitting on the water tank.

Looking up from Baldy Road.

Got buzzed by this little plane, seemed to be only about 100 feet above the top when he did a barrel roll. Pretty cool.

Hazy morning down in the lowlands.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. Hadn't ever heard of it. I guess this is down lower in the canyon that leads to the Mt. Baldy area?

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

If you drive up Baldy Road the parking area is about midway between the dam and Shinn Road. Entrance is on the left, just walk around the gate. It's all fire road to the top but a nice little creek at the beginning of the trail.
Those antennae are on the peak just below Sunset.
I grew up in Claremont so this was a pretty common walk although way back then in the 70's we went up the fire break just above the Padua Theatre.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda