Throop-Hawkins with Islip Fail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

HJ’s list of 23 San Gabriel peaks above 8000 feet has been mocking me relentlessly ever since I laid eyes upon it. So Sunday morning I got up not particularly early and headed out solo for the hills to scratch a few summits from the list. My initial plan was to ascend the PCT from Islip Saddle to Throop Peak and bag Hawkins and Islip on the way back down. As it turned out, I only made the first two due to an equipment malfunction on the return trip so I ended up missing out on Islip.

Anyway, I came at Islip Saddle along the Angeles Crest Highway from La Canada. The cops were as thick along the ACH as Poodle Dog Bush in the burn area. Arrived at the saddle about 9:35 a.m. to a half-full parking lot, clear skies, and reasonable temps. Slid into a pair of trail runners and was on the move by 9:45 a.m.

Less than a mile from the trailhead, I ran into a bazillion boy scouts packing out from a weekend at Little Jimmy. According to one of their leaders, they had used Little Jimmy as their base camp and then had ascended to Baden-Powell to pay homage to their founder.

After the deluge of scouts, I expected Little Jimmy to be hopping. Empty except for one guy waiting for his wife/girlfriend/sister/mistress to scale Islip while he lounged around in the shade. Past Little Jimmy, the trail was empty all the way to Throop except for a couple of trail runners that were making me look bad (which wasn’t difficult).

Given the lack of trail traffic, I was surprised when I arrived at the summit of Throop to be sharing it with about seven other folks. I jostled for position to get a pic of the monument, looked for the register without success, had a snack and some liquids, and headed back down. As I neared the Dawson saddle from the Throop use trail, I think I saw HJ’s evil twin making his way up to the summit.

On the way down, I veered off on the use trail out to the summit of Hawkins. Once there, I looked for a register to document my monumental achievement but alas, I was rebuffed. I thus changed into a long sleeved shirt, turned tail and headed for Islip.

Midway down from the Hawkins ridge, another trail runner made me feel inferior by whizzing by me sans shirt. Candidly, I felt worse about Mr. Runner having the confidence to go shirtless without blinding folks than I was about his pace, but just to make myself feel better I sped up and deliberately passed two older Asian men right before Windy Gap. It was at that point that the stitching on the shoulder strap of my pack gave way. I also ran out of water (long story behind that one). Karma for my competitive little stunt I suppose.

So I decided to call it a day and come back for Islip another time. Being out of water, I dropped down to Little Jimmy Spring which was flowing quite nicely, thank you. I filled my bottle, drank deeply from it, and made the final descent to Islip Saddle all the while wondering how long it takes for Giardia to kick in.

All in all, a good day in the mountains. I have extraordinarily exciting pics (none of me without a shirt so settle down ladies!) that I could share if I only knew how.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice hike - great place to take a walk.

Beaver fever kicks in in about 7 to 14 days.

Dawson Saddle is north of Throop where ACH reaches its highest point.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Nice day out. I was on Hawkins a couple weeks ago and couldnt find one either :cry: and when I was at the spring I think I was the only one using any thing in the water. All the others were filling up and downing it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice write up, 8) but sorry about the pack strap. :(

I've drunk the water from Little Jimmy Spring untreated without any problems. It's quality is pretty darn good.

Wasn't me over by Dawson Saddle. I was over by Bear Flats on Saturday, but I wasn't on the trail on Sunday.

HJ
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I will concur with Hiker Jim; the water at the Little Jimmy spring is safe to drink without treating it. I have drank it numerous times untreated (~20 or so times) with no ill effects. I believe that is the case for all the mountain springs in the Angeles Crest range.