Trail Canyon - Lightning - Condor - Fox

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
zarka

Post by zarka »

Did a three day hike to lightning point and back from big tujunga. Trail canyon past the first major waterfall is quite overgrown, but a gps track led us up the correct streams to big cienega. I wouldn't attempt that without a good map or gps, as I was surprised by some of the turns.

From big cienega it was hard at first to find the right path, but we did, and got onto the relatively easy to see trail up to mendenhall ridge. From there it was a bulldozed road, with obvious tree planting going on in Pacoima canyon. found water on the road below to the south east of Lightning point, but not sure how long into the summer it will continue.

There is also water down in pacoima cyn, but that's a good way down there, maybe 1000 ft

The most amazing thing about Lightning Point is that most of the trees and all of the picnic tables survived the fire.

on the return we chose to do condor to fox, as the trail canyon was so full of down trees it was really tiring.

(view of Condor from the trail)
the area on the sides of condor and fox are really devastated, maybe why it's still closed for so long.

View of the north side of Condor Peak

View of Fox from the side of condor

Traversing the E side of Fox

I think this was the right choice, as much of the condor-fox trail was easier going. the biggest danger here is the long two miles down from Fox to the spring about 3 miles from big T.

There are many washouts, sloped sandy trails and long drops that are really sketchy to go over. I wouldn't do it without friends I trust to stay together and look out for each other.

the spring about 3 miles or so from big T, named "Fusier" on the map.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Great trip report thanks for the update on the area. I like the colored out faces and dog.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Wow - how did you all get such terrible sunburn when it was cloudy out?? :lol:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

cougarmagic wrote: Wow - how did you all get such terrible sunburn when it was cloudy out?? :lol:
I thought is was the latest Las Vegas show, "Red Man Group" :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Definitely glad the dog's face got blanked out -- he'd have blown the entire group's cover. :)

Cool that Lightning Point seems to have survived with a lot of its beautiful mature trees intact. Thanks for the TR.

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Definitely glad the dog's face got blanked out -- he'd have blown the entire group's cover. :) HJ
How do you know it's a dog? :) Maybe it's a small mountain lion getting ready to attack those hikers.
Just sayin'...