Ontario and Bighorn

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I spent a couple of nights up in the mountains this weekend, visiting Ontario and Bighorn on Saturday.
Since work was slow on Friday of a holiday weekend I sent everyone home at 4, which helped me get to the Icehouse trailhead by 5:30. I didn't think I could make the saddle before sunset (I don't like to set up camp by headlight), so I ignored the raindrops in the parking lot and went to Cedar Glen. That's my favorite hangout anyway and once again it was a good visit. The fog/clouds chased me up the canyon, obscuring the sunset and the cool weather put me in the tent by 8:30. I saw a couple deer come nosing around and sometime during the night something else was grunting and puffing around the camp. The others camped there didn't see anything....
In the morning it was cool but clear, and when I went for water and looked down the valley I appeared to be above the clouds. Turned out to be a brief moment, as once again they moved up the canyons while I was heading towards the saddle. I didn't take much of a break there, just went straight over to Kelly's Camp where I set up camp once again. Since there was some discussion about water (my question), I was able to fill one litre in 90 seconds. While there, clouds came in so heavy that I couldn't even see people on the trail going through the camp. Thinking the summits might still remain above the mess, I headed up at 11:15. The clouds were pretty constant, with occasional periods of clarity. Anyway, an hour later I was having lunch at the summit, sharing space with eight others - the biggest crowd I've ever seen there. The trees around there had some rime ice on their eastern sides, and the wind made everything feel pretty cold. Walking back towards the Bighorn junction was like visiting San Francisco, just a lot of fog. I did have more visitors, the register actually had double-digit signatures for the day. At each of the two summits today the views everywhere were limited to a couple hundred yards. Going down I went back past the scree slope and then turned off-trail down a canyon. With no landmarks in sight it was kind of an adventure, but after a while I heard people talking on the trail. Couldn't see them even though it was just about 100 yards but at least I knew I was on the right path. Turned out I was mere steps from the entrance to Kelly's Camp.
After a cold uneventful night I packed up and walked down on a beautiful day for visiting the mountains. I counted 86 people heading up on the trail. Surprisingly, all were hikers - no families setting up for picnic lunches at the creek. I guess I was in a hurry - less than two hours from Kelly's to the parking lot. Lunch at Baldy Lodge was outstanding and it was nice to have a beer too.
Despite the weather, it's always great to get out and visit the local mountains.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very nice! Thanks!
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Hey Jeff,

I had exactly the same experience Saturday when I hiked Ross Mountain. Everything to the South of Baden Powell was covered in cloud while to the North it was mostly blue skies. I was surprised to see so much ice on some of the trees. Friday night must have been pretty cold for you camping out. Nice report, thanks.

Phil

Cheers Phil