Chaney Trail access??

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hey all,

I suppose I could look online or call the FC, but this is probably a more reliable source. I'll get in touch with those folks too, but can anyone tell me if they lock the yellow gate at Chaney at night??

Thanks
AW~

Post by AW~ »

shreddy wrote: Hey all,

I suppose I could look online or call the FC, but this is probably a more reliable source. I'll get in touch with those folks too, but can anyone tell me if they lock the yellow gate at Chaney at night??

Thanks
From the internet, the gate is supposed to be locked at 8pm by the Altadena sheriff ....and prevents motorized traffic. It appears the locking of the gate by the sheriff hasnt been as consistent as the neighborrhood wants.

http://www.fourpalms.org/pipermail/act/ ... 03499.html
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks AW - Appreciate it
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Drove by there tonight at 8PM. Access from Loma Alta- Sign said road cloed from 10PM to 6AM...
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I haven't spent much time up there in a while but I used to and they were always pretty strict about that gate.

Although when people have been stuck behind it before I've noticed that sometimes its closed but not locked (and you can just push it open). But I wouldn't count on that or anything :)
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

There is an agreement between the Los Angeles River Ranger District and what they refer to as "the Alzada Group" which constitutes a few loudmouths on Alzada Drive, Altadena. Forest Service has asked the Altadena Sheriff's substation to lock the gate at 8:00 pm, but FS claims no responsibility for the gate. That would be at odds with the fact that the forest is open at all hours.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

And the sign at the entrance says 6AM to 10PM road open. I can't see how they can close a gate with a sign out front like that
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Sierra Madre PD did the same thing with the gate to Chantry when it changed from 10pm to 8pm a few years ago. It took a lot of complaints from residents around Arno Drive to get them to change the sign. At first the city didn't drag its feet on purpose, but someone realized how much revenue was being generated from ticketing those that got themselves locked behind the gate. Even after they changed the sign, SMPD stopped a long-time practice of warning folks that the gate would be locked. From my vantage point in the bunkhouse at Adams' Pack Station, I would see every night the spotlights of a police cruiser going through the Chantry parking lot just before 10pm. They used to drive up the road to warn everyone parked on the side of the road or in the parking lot that the gate would be locked in a few minutes. It was quite a striking coincidence that this tradition stopped, and the ticket writing started, just after Sierra Madre got a new police chief.