Help needed getting kids into the California Wilderness

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
AdventureDoc

Post by AdventureDoc »

Fellow SGMDFers!

For those of you that I have not had the privilege of meeting, my name is Christopher Czaplicki and I'm an avid hiker, mountaineer and poor college student. This summer I'm doing a charity climb of the Grand Teton to help get California inner city youth into the great outdoors. As a group of people that truly understand the importance of getting outdoors, I felt that this was a cause you would all believe in, and I wouldn't be wasting your time.

As an incentive for donations (with a goal of $3,800), I'm offering the opportunity for my donors to get a name and personalized message on a Himalayan Prayer Flag to be flown from the summit of the Grand Teton this summer during my climb! Honor the memory of a loved one, or give thanks for someone meaningful in your life, all while helping get kids outdoors!

Donate $25 or more now (100% tax-deductible) and I will fly a Himalayan Prayer Flag personalized with the name of a loved one and individualized message from the summit of the Grand Teton this July!

To donate just follow this link-
http://www.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i= ... 5131564802,
then email me at czaplick@usc.edu to personalize your flag!

All contributors will receive digital pictures of their flag at the summit and the individual flag given to them after I return!

I hope to make this experience more than just a climb or even just helping to get children into the wilderness, but an opportunity to help friends, family and colleagues celebrate those that they love. Please consider donating today.

To learn more about the climb itself, taken from my facebook event page, read below:

This July I will strap a 50 lb pack on my back and climb 13,770 feet in the air to summit the Grand Teton. Why am I doing this? Because 90% of every dollar I fundraise will go back towards supporting programs that get at-risk, inner city youth outdoors. Think of it like a 3-day breast cancer walk....but way colder!

It is so critical, especially in the world we live in now, to allow kids a chance to experience and engage nature. Their emotional, mental and physical health depend on these opportunities.

I am reaching out to friends and family for support. By May 27 I have to reach my fundraising goal of $3,800!

I know times are tough but every little bit will help. This whole experience goes beyond me and my challenge of climbing....the bottom line is without the Climbing for Kids program and others like it...the majority kids are going to lose touch with nature forever.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Sorry, but this is an archaic idea, and I just cannot support it. The United Nations says we are supposed to keep out of the wilderness and confine ourselves to the inner city. It's for the good of the earth.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Shut up Greg you old curmugeon. :wink:

I'm an inner city old fart - can I come along? Just kidding. This is a cool idea worth looking into.
AdventureDoc

Post by AdventureDoc »

Haha I can't bring you along on this trip, although if anyone is interested in doing something similar you can sign up for your own climb at climbingforkids.org. Teton is full this year, but there are still spots for Whitney and Shasta!