Mt. Waterman: 04-07-2012

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Mt. Waterman via the service road for the ski resort. Patchy snow all the way to the top. No idea what the conditions are on the regular trail.

Only saw two hikers (several times actually) and one guy at the top of the ski lifts. Odd considering how many cars were parked at the trailhead when I finished.

Pics.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice shots from the top.

Is that log cabin building new? I don't think I've seen that before. Caretaker's cottage? Looks like they're still maintaining the place which is a miracle. I don't think it's brought in a dollar on skiing in years. Maybe the mtn. bikers are keeping the doors open?

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

It was a nice clear day for sure. The guy I saw at the ski lifts worked there cause I saw him coming and going out of a couple buildings. I've never taken the road up (or down) before so I don't know what is new or not up there. I've always taken the trail but I thought I'd try something different.

BTW, signs on the road said the 2 was open all the way through to Wrightwood.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: It was a nice clear day for sure. The guy I saw at the ski lifts worked there cause I saw him coming and going out of a couple buildings. I've never taken the road up (or down) before so I don't know what is new or not up there. I've always taken the trail but I thought I'd try something different.

BTW, signs on the road said the 2 was open all the way through to Wrightwood.
Yeah, I saw an email that they had opened the 2 already all the way through. Pretty early.

Trying to decide if I want to do a high country backpack in the SGW the last week of April or if I want to stay a little lower. Might be a good year for going high early since there hasn't been a lot of snow.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

This weeks storms should make it interesting for next weekend.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: This weeks storms should make it interesting for next weekend.
Yeah.

Maybe I'll take the lower option.

HJ